PC being very slow all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

haGGard

In Runtime
Hey,

My PC has been running fine for ages, then all of a sudden a couple of days ago, i noticed it was signiaficantly slower when i was using Limewire, WMP and Firefox all at the same time, especially Limewire. I was getting pauses in my music off WMP and mouse lag, and general all round slowness. I didnt think much of it at first, but its been like this for a while now...

My PC even slows down if i have more than 3 conversation windows open on MSN.

Anyway, does anybody know what it could be or help me by telling me what things to check? Bear in mind im not that good on the whole technical side of things, i can build a PC, but thats about it :/

I've done spyware scans with MS Spyware, adaware pro and virus scan using AVG. Didnt have any spyware or virus'

Hope some people can help. Thanks

I did a defrag a couple of days ago hoping that would solve the problem. It didnt.

Im even getting text lag while typing this lol. I will type something, and it wont appear as i type it, then it catches up with itself and shows what i have typed.

My FPS has also dropped dramatically when playing online games...

I thought it may be a stick of ram that has died, but its good quality ram, not overclocked or anything, and my computer is still reading it as 1GB

What does your memory check say during post ?
You can download MEMTEST/86 to check your RAM.
What does your task manager say about your CPU Usage?

I dont know if you should go as far as reformating.Registry is a liable cause depending on how long youve had the computer and how many programs you have installed.I recommend Registry Mechanic, sometimes youd be amazed on what is growing on your registry.

Before you reformat theres a couple things I'd do first, first run memtest see if its a ram issue. Second check the CPU temperatures im not sure if Athlons have throttleing but if it does then it means your CPU is getting too hot so it underclocks itself.

Mr_Threepwood said:
Before you reformat theres a couple things I'd do first, first run memtest see if its a ram issue. Second check the CPU temperatures im not sure if Athlons have throttleing but if it does then it means your CPU is getting too hot so it underclocks itself.

Yes very true about Athlons, you should download a hardware monitor to view your CPU's temp while you are doing whatever on your computer. You could view the CPU's temp in the BIOS but your it wouldnt have the work load as if you were on your desktop playing games and stuff

Sounds like your cpu is pegged... as brady said, go into task manager> performance and check your CPU Usage meter. If its 75-80+ thats most lily why. And while your there check out your ram usage as well! (even though it would only slow down with 256mb ram ^_^)

What are your system specs?

Hi,

I will have a go at running Memtest in the morning, as im going to bed now.

This is my Cpu/Ram usuage.

cpuusuage6zr.jpg

Its actually pretty high imo when im just running firefox and WMP atm. Do you think the CPU is shot? The PC is not even a year old! :/

Sysytem specs are in my sig i hope...

I used everest before to check my CPU temps, though i cant find it on my PC atm. As im in the UK my temps are usually a bit cooler than in the US where i guess most of you are from...

During the summer i would only ever see a max about 45 - 50 degrees celcius on my CPU, and during the winter its only about 25.

Cheers for the replies btw...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom