PC abruptly switches off at random times - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Send a message via AIM to kpempire
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

It seems to me like a faulty PSU or CPU. Your temperatures are extremely high for a neutral PC. I'd probably get that checked out with the solutions said above.
__________________

kpempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
bevolasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 91
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpempire View Post
It seems to me like a faulty PSU or CPU. Your temperatures are extremely high for a neutral PC. I'd probably get that checked out with the solutions said above.
That's because I measured the idle temperatures after I heated the CPU up to 70°C.

The real idle temperatures vary between 23 and 42°C 5 minutes after boot. Seeing other people's results on the web tells me it shouldn't be a problem. Although I may consider buying a liquid cooler as summer approaches.

Now, I downloaded software which tells me what's going on with the PSU. Here's a screen:



Something tells me that there's something wrong...
__________________

bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

You can't really use hwmonitor to check your psu voltages.

Again until you stress your computer 100% you'll not know if it's a load issue, or a intermittent failing part issue.

As for a "Liquid" cooler, they're useless on a stock cpu.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
bevolasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 91
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
You can't really use hwmonitor to check your psu voltages.

Again until you stress your computer 100% you'll not know if it's a load issue, or a intermittent failing part issue.

As for a "Liquid" cooler, they're useless on a stock cpu.
I'll check the cooling forums for any suitable CPU cooling options.

However I did check the PSU voltages with a digital voltmeter and everything was normal.

Also, I stressed the CPU with the software you gave me. CPU temps went over 80°C but surprisingly nothing happened. I had to stop the program because I wasn't sure if it was going to fry it.

Could it be a RAM problem? I tried memtest86+ and after 10 minutes of testing the computer switched off.
bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Student & Lover of Games
 
XGC Forsakend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevolasko View Post
I'll check the cooling forums for any suitable CPU cooling options.

However I did check the PSU voltages with a digital voltmeter and everything was normal.

Also, I stressed the CPU with the software you gave me. CPU temps went over 80°C but surprisingly nothing happened. I had to stop the program because I wasn't sure if it was going to fry it.

Could it be a RAM problem? I tried memtest86+ and after 10 minutes of testing the computer switched off.
That software is meant to push the PC and hardware in order to stress test it. Let it run for a bit (3-5 min or so?) as testing temperatures via UDK and Minecraft isn't really reliable.

UDK can take up quite a bit of resources, but really depends on how much is on screen and what it is doing. Minecraft isn't demanding at all.

The program won't fry your CPU. The CPU will auto-shut off if it starts to reach unsafe temperatures, hence the shut down.
XGC Forsakend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
bevolasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 91
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC Forsakend View Post
That software is meant to push the PC and hardware in order to stress test it. Let it run for a bit (3-5 min or so?) as testing temperatures via UDK and Minecraft isn't really reliable.

UDK can take up quite a bit of resources, but really depends on how much is on screen and what it is doing. Minecraft isn't demanding at all.

The program won't fry your CPU. The CPU will auto-shut off if it starts to reach unsafe temperatures, hence the shut down.
I have extended torture testing with temperatures reaching to almost boiling point however my PC didn't shutdown (hence I wrote this with the same PC).

I also took a second memory test and it successfully passed. The PC might have turned off coincidentally.
bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

I'm ASSUMING , you hit near 100C, that is your cpus max temp.

It really should be able to run 24/7 at 100% and stay around 80C. I do this with mine as I run folding at home, and so it runs 100% 24/7 and it's been that way for over a year.

While the temp might not be your shutdown issue, you do have a problem, though I'm thinking it is because you have a crappy case for air flow.

If you can not run prime for at least an hour with out your temp going over 95C you need to think about getting a new case for the parts. Liquid cooling like a Corsair will be wasted money.

What memory test are you doing? Memtest is the best as it is a bootable program that RUNS LINUX and can test everything.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I think you may be correct it is not a heat problem but you do have a problem with heat.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
bevolasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 91
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
I'm ASSUMING , you hit near 100C, that is your cpus max temp.

It really should be able to run 24/7 at 100% and stay around 80C. I do this with mine as I run folding at home, and so it runs 100% 24/7 and it's been that way for over a year.

While the temp might not be your shutdown issue, you do have a problem, though I'm thinking it is because you have a crappy case for air flow.

If you can not run prime for at least an hour with out your temp going over 95C you need to think about getting a new case for the parts. Liquid cooling like a Corsair will be wasted money.

What memory test are you doing? Memtest is the best as it is a bootable program that RUNS LINUX and can test everything.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I think you may be correct it is not a heat problem but you do have a problem with heat.
I may admit that I do have a crappy case. It's one of those cheep'o cooler masters.

As you can see in the photo below, the only fan which sucks the air into the computer is located at the top right. Maybe it's too far from the CPU and the airflow seems to get blocked by the video card between them. I could try jamming in a secondary fan at the center back of the case which may provide the CPU with fresh air. Although, I believe that there may be better options.

With my computer randomly switching itself off, I don't see any any blown up or leaky capacitors anywhere but I would presume that my PC wouldn't work if that ever happened. I guess it's just one of those mysteries...

As for the memory test, I tried running memtest86+.

bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Yha, that case is horrible for air.

You may even be overheating your psu.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
bevolasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 91
Default Re: PC abruptly switches off at random times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Yha, that case is horrible for air.

You may even be overheating your psu.
Is there a way that I can heat up the PSU manually so that it becomes so hot it cuts the power (without using a blowtorch)? I've been using Prime95 to turture test my PC at maximum temperatures except it never turned it off. I left it on for an hour too.
__________________

bevolasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overuse of switches for fan on / off (O/I) Christopherj05 Overclocking and Modding 6 08-03-2006 07:49 AM
Monitor Screen Randomly Switches Off - Please Help Omertà Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 04-30-2006 12:00 AM
Keyboard lights flashes 9 times & Laptop(Dell Latitude CPx) switches off mwauz Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 0 02-08-2006 06:58 AM
Computer suddenly Switches off and BIOS Beeps Halsted Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 02-06-2006 01:46 PM
pc switches off no warning speedoz Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 5 05-27-2005 11:54 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.