Partial boot up? Killing me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not the PSU....gotta be the mobo.

If it was the video card I'd still get power to the keyboard and mouse correct?

Anyways, have to go return the PSU I "rented" from Future Shop and it looks like I'm going to be heading over to the "Building your computer" forum. Haven't done this in a while....

I take it you have tried resetting the CMOS? that would be suspect no.1 in my opinion. - I'm sure you have but no-ones mentioned it.

Ok....very stumped now....have no clue what to do,would like to nominate this problem as the stumper of the month.

Same problem as always, here is what I've tried:

- PSU upgrade: no affect
- Motherboard switch: no affect
- New video card: no affect
- Reset CMOS: no affect
- Swap monitor: no affect
- Swap CPU: no affect
- Disconnect CDRW, floppy and DVDRW: no affect
- Took the HD to Tigerdirect.ca store and they confirmed it is working but haven't tried a new one.
- Took entire system to local techie...he "THINKS" its the mobo but wouldn't confirm for me.

And still there is no change at all...seems like power is getting to the mobo, HD, RAM, CPU ect, but not to the mouse and keyboard and no signal is getting to the monitor....anyone have any other ideas?

I think the only thing I havn't changed is the RAM which is one of the newest components, just added it a few months ago.

This is driving me nuts! I'm also running out of places to buy and return hardware without penalty! Anything....could it be XP?

So....no guesses?

Might all be a moot point now...was working on it some more, putting everything back to its original setup (going to bring the whole system in to be assessed) and I think I might have made a mistake somewhere...atleast if the smell of burnt electronics is any indication. Got that dreaded burnt smell, it was faint but distinct. But can't locate the problem, double checked all the connections, re-fired it up and the same result as ever, once again, no change!

Starting to think I could drop this thing of the roof, into the pool then pull it out, drive over it with the truck and still fire it up and get the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom