Beta member
What I can't do:
Install OS

Important Specs:
P5K Premium
Seagate 320GB SATA 7200.10
Philips 20x SATA DVD Burner

Problem:
After the PC Posts, the error message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" comes up. My HDD and DVD Drive are both connected, the Windows XP Installation CD (Slipstreamed with SP2) is in the drive, the DVD drive is set as first to boot, etc. but no cigar.

What I have tried:
With 6 SATA ports (1,2,5,6 "master", 3,4 "slave") and two SATA devices (HDD, Philips 20X DVD Burner), there are 20 possible "combinations." I have tried nearly every combination available since I read elsewhere that the SATA drives are picky. I also tried using a different SATA cable. In addition, I tried boot HDD first, boot DVD first, boot DVD only, boot HDD only; nothing worked. I tried a different SP2 installation CD and I still received the same error message. In the BIOS I tried many different combinations of SATA configurations; still no.

Rest of Technical Information:
Corsair 620W
Antec 900
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
G.Skill PC2-6400 HZ 2GB
Zalman 9700
CPU and RAM on default settings at the moment

Today I changed the Philips drive with an IDE drive. I noticed that in the Boot Order that both my IDE and "Atapi CD-ROM" appeared, so I tried different boot combinations and finally disabled the "Atapi CD-ROM" to no avail. Finally, I removed all USB devices and disabled USB because someone suggested it, but :freak:

Today I changed the Philips drive with an IDE drive. I noticed that in the Boot Order that both my IDE and "Atapi CD-ROM" appeared, so I tried different boot combinations and finally disabled the "Atapi CD-ROM" to no avail. Finally, I removed all USB devices and disabled USB because someone suggested it, but :freak:
I suspect your slipstreamed CD isn't bootable
Getting the SP2 files on the CD is only one part of making the CD. You then have to make the CD bootable with a Microsoft Corporation.img file as the boot sector (using Nero or something), and with some specific settings:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

s-patrol or someone tell me how you solved this problem. I am facing the same problem.

Built a new PC, Turned ON, setup the BIOS then Inserted XP Cd into SATA DVD drive, Monitor shows "Setup is configuring the hardware" then system restarts.

if there is no cd in DVD drive i m receiving "reboot the device or insert..." error.

MB:Ausu p5k deluxe
CPU:Core 2 Extreme
DVD burner: Asus

i m really struggling, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom