Overheating and potential power supply problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plochman

Solid State Member
I got a new computer and it got here about a week ago. Anyway it's crashing due to overheating, so I added 2 more case fans (a 120 in the front blowing in mm and a 80 mm blowing out) for a total of 3 case fans. It may not be enough for my specs but the idle temperature of the CPU and system temp are both at about 37 degrees celcius which imo isn't enough to crash the computer. It only crashes now in games, but I think it may have to do with my power supply fan/air pathway. I now have the case open with a house fan blowing in and it's fine, but the powersupply is much hotter than anything else inside the computer as far as I can tell. Could the fan be malfunctioning or the PSU airway blocked by something? There's only a tiny bit of air (about 1/6 if not less than the case fans) coming out of the back of the computer where the Power supply is and if you feel the back of it you can feel the hotness (If that's a word :p) of the power supply. It is not blowing in either because I opened the case and felt the opposite side of the PSU fan. If anyone could help me out and tell me what they would do in my situation I would really appreciate it.

Specs
Manufacturer:Ibuypower
Memory: 2 GB DDR2 800 MHZ RAM (2 1 GB chips)
Power: 700 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower
Video: Evga 8800 GTX
CPU: AMD 4200 X2
HD: 250 GB about 7600 RPM Hard drive

edit: corrected Memory

Well, newer, more advanced PSU's don't necessarily use the fans at all times. SOme only turn the fans on when the temperature reaches a certain point - like the Antec PSU's, the rear fan only turns on when the temperature reaches above 40C (at least in my case). I would say the problem is not the PSU - since it's only a few weeks old, exchange the PSU for another one.

Get a better Heatsink & Fan - if you're using stock, it may just not be enough cooling action once you start playing games.

Also, if your video card is getting too hot, that could be crashing your system too. Some new video cards only have heatsinks without fans. Add a fan kit.

Personally, i went to liquid cooling at home - i thought i would take a chance with it. Setup was easy and i'm keeping both CPU and Video card about 10C cooler on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom