Overheat on a Laptop with dedicated video card.

SLTavera

Solid State Member
Hi!, i just wanted to know, why if i change the energy plan on my laptop so it can use 100% of my processor, the laptop overheats and shutsdown when i play a videogame, shouldnt the videogame use the videocard memory instead of using the processor for graphics?

If i disable my integrated intel video card will it fix it?

EDIT 1:

Dell InspironN5110 Intel i7-2670QM CPU 2.20 GHz
6GB RAM
GeForce GT 525M (1024MB)

EDIT 2:

i have cleaned my laptop multiple times (only blow out the dust), the issue is that i cant use 100% of my processor while using videogames or it will shut down, i have to restrict it to 80%.

Last edited:
Hi!, i just wanted to know, why if i change the energy plan on my laptop so it can use 100% of my processor, the laptop overheats and shutsdown when i play a videogame, shouldnt the videogame use the videocard memory instead of using the processor for graphics?

If i disable my integrated intel video card will it fix it?

Depending on the laptop, the GPU/CPU share heat pipes and/or exhaust fan which can hinder cooling.

What you should do is redo the thermal paste for your CPU/GPU's heatsinks. Depending on the laptop, this can be a time-intensive job... post the brand/model of your laptop and we can look for a teardown video and see how difficult it is.

Also, make sure you use compressed air to blow out the vents/fans.

Remove the baseplate and blow from the inside-out, so that you're blowing dust outside, and not back into the laptop.

As for repasting...apparently it's not easy on yours. You'll have to dismantle most of the laptop to get to the CPU/GPU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xklfZ-u2-8

i have cleaned my laptop multiple times, the issue is that i cant use 100% of my processor while using videogames or it will shut down, i have to restrict it to 80%.

i have cleaned my laptop multiple times, the issue is that i cant use 100% of my processor while using videogames or it will shut down, i have to restrict it to 80%.

By "clean" do you just mean blow out the dust? Or did you actually re-apply thermal paste to the GPU/CPU heatsinks? Because doing that can lower your temps dramatically.

What are your temps for CPU/GPU btw? Could you please post idle/load temps using HWMonitor: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Back
Top Bottom