overclocked and underclocked??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
To make it short and sweet i got a mobo that claimed it could do fsb 1333. but in reality that was it's max overclocked fsb [misrepresentation IMO], which it doesnt even reach stable might i add. So it's really stock 1066. But i have a cpu clocked for 1333, and ddr2 667 [because i thought it was 1333 mobo]. So, after a day or two of often blue screens, which seemed to me to point to the memory. I started fiddling with the speeds. Got it running stable at a fsb of 1244 and the ram running at 622 3-3-3-12, this mobo doesnt give many options other than 533, 667, and "auto."

Question is, besides the obvious "issues" with overclocking the motherboard, is the downclocking hurting the CPU or ram at all? I still get blue screens once in a blue moon, but far far less then before i fiddled with the speeds. Maybe once a day as opposed to after 20mins of gaming without fail. I've heard downclocking can technically extend the life of hardware because of lower temps and such but i'm not well versed in it.

Just because the board "supports" 1333 fsb, does not mean that your cpu does. You might want to be alittle more specific as to what you have. a q6600 is a 1066FSB chip, but can be run in a board that supports 1333 chips, it doesnt mean that the board is going to make the chip run at 1333.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom