Over heating BSOD ... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plochman

Solid State Member
I bought a new computer from ibuypower and its had the imfamous Machine Check Exception BSOD (blue screen of death) problem from the start. It has pretty normal temperatures of 36C CPU 36C System and 63C video (it's a evga 8800 GTX and it's common for it to reach 86C under a full load) idle. It doesn't discriminate either, it will crash in game OR idle. However. . . it never does it when i take the case off and point a house fan at it. Also once it has the BSOD the computer will keep restarting and having the BSOD over and over again, but it will go away if I turn it off and wait a while (for it to cool off?) . I really don't know what to do and I don't know if tech support will know either. So now I'm asking the smartest group of people I know. PLZ HELPZSOR ME !!!:(

AMD ATHLON 4200 X2
2 GB DDR2 800 MHZ RAM
EVGA 8800 GTX
750 WATT TOUGHPOWER THERMALTAKE PSU
2 80 MM CASE FANS 1 120 MM CASE FAN
WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER

EDIT: I WENT BACK INTO THE BIOS AND MY POWER AND SYSTEM FAN HAVE 0 RPM! COULD THIS CAUSE THE BSOD?

Aye I got the System and CPU temp from the BIOS and I got the video card temp from the nvidia control panel. This was when I didn't have the ***house fan pointing at it too.

Hi. Did you check that all your fans are working when you start the PC? I'm asking you this because you said that BIOS shows no RPM for those fans. For what I know, that BSOD corresponds to a hardware failure/overstressed hardware cause by overheating. It can also be cause by poorly fitted heatsinks or fans. Can you boot into Safe Mode, just to rule out some software or drivers that might've caused it???? Try it and post with more info. Good Luck!

I just did what you said and ran it in safe mode for about an hour. No crashes whatsoever. Right when I logged back into normal mode It got the BSOD. So I put the side of the case back on, turned the fan on and it works fine in normal mode again.

edit: I think the power supply fan is working... i can feel a little bit of air coming out of the back of the PSU. and I dont know what it means by the system fan. and yes they both still say 0 RPM in the BIOS

Hi. Okay, let's see...it works fine in Safe Mode,mmm...Did you run any programs in Safe Mode, like a game or similar? Try again for a longer period of time and run a couple of programs or games to make the system "sweat" a little. Does the BSOD happen every single time the PC start in normal mode? How long has this been going on? Did you install any new software or game right before that? Try to remember. One more thing: Did you check the Hard Drive/s temperatures? You can do it by downloading this free utility "SpeedFan" from this website:
www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
You can check your CPU, Hard Drives temperatures and your Fans RPMs if your Mobo has the sensors for that, otherwise it will show 0 RPM, like in your BIOS. You can also click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab and check your hard drives performance and life. You might have a drivers/software conflict that is causing the BSOD and not a hardware failure. Post back with results and more info,ok?

OKAY I ran it again in safe mode for a long time and there are definately no crashes. I can't run any .exe games in safe mode but I went to newgrounds.com and played some games. Besides When I restarted the computer to go back to normal mode I INSTANTLY got the blue screen of death (and I instantly got it last time I restarted to go back into normal mode from safe mode too.)So after I get the blue screen of death I turn the comp off for a little bit, take the side of the case off and point a big ghetto house fan at it. It will never crash in normal mode when I have the big ghetto house fan pointing at it. In fact, I am on the computer in normal mode right now with the big ghetto fan pointing at it. And I do have SpeedFan and it has RPM on the first fan, and no RPM on the other 2 fans. It isnt the case fans that aren't working so it must be some other fans within the system.

What about the Hard Drive/s temperatures? Did you check them? How long can you be in Normal Mode with the big fan on? You didn't answer how long have you been having this problem?

just a question. the 80mm and 120mm fans, how are they set up, and when the pc is on, are they spinning? might wanna check on that, because it sounds like it might be overheating.

it could also be a driver problem, maybe something to do with the nvidia drivers. my best bet would be to reinstall windows, and try all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom