Out of date drivers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Out of date drivers

My name is Chris, and I have a pretty outdated computer. I ran PC Pitstop Driver Alert, to find out what drivers are out of date. I had 3, my video, sound, and Ethernet controller. I don't want to spend 30 bucks to pay for Driver Alert so I can get just one more driver. I have updated my video, and sound, but now I need my LAN driver. The only thing my device manager, and Driver Alert calls it is "VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter." My net card is on board, my only on board peripheral. My mother board is a MSI KM400. Very old, so old that MSI doesn't sell it anymore. I looked on their website to find out all of the information about my LAN adapter that I could. This is all I found.

• VIA® Fast Ethernet LAN.
- with external VT6103 Fast Ethnernet PHY 10/100 Base-T LAN transformer.
- Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in VT8237.
- Supports 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s auto-negotation operation.
- Compliance with PCI v2.2 and PC99 standard
- Supports ACPI power management.
I need the most up to date driver that I can possible get, Driver Alert says that the latest date for the driver for this device is 9/21/2007, and version If anyone could give me a link for the latest driver for this device, I would be very grateful, because for the life of me, I can't find this driver.

Thank you!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Out of date drivers

Lol, I wouldn't believe everything that driver alert said, (meaning the latest driver may not be the 2007 3.72.0.whatever driver they give. If you search on driverguide for 'vt 6103' it turns up 2 drivers, the latest of which is a 2005 driver. Registration is free, so you shouldn't have any probs.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

If your onboard ethernet adapter is working fine with the current driver, then just leave it. It is not imperative to have the latest driver installed, unless you are experiencing problems with the device.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the information guys. I'm not having any problems with my connection, I just wanted to be sure that everything was up to date. I really appreciate all the help that you guys have provided.

- Chris
Closed Thread