Are Optiplex's beasts to clone, or am I just strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm trying to use CloneZilla LiveCD to pull an image off of an Optiplex 740 loaded with XP Pro SP3. It has a SATA drive. I can't get CloneZilla to pull an image. It just cycles through and never responds to the hardware. I can get CloneZilla past many prompts until I get to where I have to choose the drive I'm cloning, in which it just cycles through and never picks anything up.

I went to adjust my HDD mode to IDE Compatibility instead of SATA mode, but I don't even see the option in the BIOS. The best I can do with my hard drive is just turn the darn thing off.

I have 500 of these systems coming in next month. If I can't clone these, we have a problem. A problem that'll probably involve them getting shipped back and HP coming to town.

How can I work around this? Cloning these is an absolute requirement...

EDIT - Yesterday I was able to get through a few prompts. Today I can't. I'm seeing stuff like this, for anybody who understands CloneZilla/Linux terminology...

It gives me a bunch of lines saying ata2: hard resetting link, ata2: SATA link up 1.5gbps. ata2: EH complete. Then just keeps going. Gahhh! :(

Couldn't you just use norton ghost??? Also are there any special drivers you would need to slipstrem into the clonezilla cd for that dell???

Couldn't you just use norton ghost??? Also are there any special drivers you would need to slipstrem into the clonezilla cd for that dell???

Yeah, I could. But there's a small issue here.

Norton Ghost = $$
Clonezilla Live = Free

:)

I found a solution to the problem... well, I didn't personally find it... but there's a fix. Sort of. I posted on the CloneZilla forums and somebody there who is one of the head honcho's created a CloneZilla LiveCD with the upcoming linux kernel from Ubuntu Jaunty (2.6.28) whereas the current kernel is 2.6.27.

Using kernel 2.6.28 worked fine, and it's doing the job I need. Something about the SATA controller in these Dells .27 doesn't see, but .28 does.

I'm currently pulling an image off of an Optiplex 740 now.

Woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom