Only a few USB ports working in high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I have an Asus P5B-E mobo, 2 usb ports on front connector, 6 on i/o panel, and 2 additional ports via an addon card. I "assumed" everything would just be up and running at USB2, high speed. Maybe that's dumb of me, but I figured it's 2008, I have "new" hardware, what would the holdup be? Using a new usb2 drive, in a few different ports, I'm getting like 5 mb/s trasfer rates - not too good.

So I check my device manager, and under USB brand I have 14 total items - 7 USB Root Hubs, 5 Intel ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller (some # after) and only 2 with "enhanced" in that line.

Enhanced/High-Speed USB IS enabled in my bios.

So my question - how do I get the others to be "enhanced" USB2? Is there a driver somewhere I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

The USB Adapter that you installed should have come with some sort of driver CD that you should use to install the Drivers. But jsut be warned. That even if you get the right drivers the max speed of a PCI port is about 133mb/s while USB 2.0 is roughly 480mb/s. So you will be bottlenecked.

Cheers,
Mak

The 2 front ports should be connected to the motherboard USB headers, and not the add-on card headers (if it even has any).

All the back IO USB ports should definately be high-speed. If they are not, there is a driver issue, and you need to install some sort of driver that came with the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom