Only detecting 1GB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekustix

Baseband Member
Hey, so I just recently bought:
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 550 (PC 4400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

and installed them both in the DualChannel slots on my Asus A8N-SLI mobo. For some reason however, the computer is only detecting 1GB instead of 2, anybody know why this is?

Right off, make sure they're seated properly, a lot of times new RAM is somewhat hard to push down all the way and you think you got it, but you don't really heh, happened to me before once.

Also after that, possible RAM slot could be dead and that would suck!

Well, I didn't look up the mbd but some actually have the mem slots staggered where (for example):

1324 <---slots

Most of the time this is only if you are going to use dual channel mode, but some mbds insist that you have memory in this configuration.

Here's what I'd say you do.

1. Make sure they are forsure seated right, this is the problem 80% of the time with RAM not being detected.

2. After that try each stick seperately to see if they are both detected.

3. If they are then try flashing the motherboards BIOS with the latest version, then put both sticks in and give that a shot.

Also make sure you reset the BIOS settings in case you accidently changed some that you didn't mean to change. If you still can't figure it out after this then I expect it either to be hardware incompatability or faulty hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom