Onboard Sound Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Onboard Sound Issue

I recently attempted to put a audio output jack into the front input on my computer, and my computer shut down. When I turned it back on, my computer no longer recognizes any audio devices being installed on my computer. I've attempted to download drivers and reinstall it, but I'm starting to worry that it is a hardware issue.

Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
DX58SO Mobo - Pretty sure onboard was Realtek.
I7 920 @ 2.7
6G DD3 Ram

Thanks for any help,

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Onboard Sound Issue

Is that front jack installed internally? From your post, I cant understand how you connected your front port output.

Did your computer shut down involuntarily? If it was connected internally, is this when you were connecting it? Thats a no-no.

Neowin.net Steam Account
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's just a plug for an audio jack, with the green trimming. I probably used some ill selected terms for describing the connection.

But I'm pretty sure that the jack is connected too the motherboard. So I'm not sure if its installed internally or not, depending on what that means.

And ya, it shut down involuntarily - and ya it happened after I plugged it in.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am not quite sure I am understanding you problem...

If my understanding is correct, you tried to put something that output audio IE: Your I-pod into the output jack of you computer. IE: Headphones so, in a diagram it would look like this (arrows indicating intended flow per computer default specs)
(I-pod) ]>>=<<[ (Laptop)

Or... do you mean you opened your laptop and tried to convert the audio out into an audio in? Please elaborate.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am going to assume you tried to connect your ipod (or w/e) to the output jack on your computer.

My guess is (and it is just that), perhaps it was static electricity, That would indeed force a shutdown and potentially damage internal components. THAT SAID! I am not completely sure if static can be transferred through something like an audio jack, I know gold (commonly used in plating those cables) is highly conductive, so it would not be out of the question.

Is it just external sound that does not work, or does the on-board sound not work also. Please let me know.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

[Computer/Green input jack on front of computer] <--Plugging in---Headphones----

= owned my computer.

That was my initial assumption as well, that static fried my on-board audio, since it is not even picking up my on-board audio drivers on my 'computer > manage' area. But there is no way to get my computer to get some sound unless I plug in a sound card, which is what I ended up doing.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

At this point I'd suggest unplugging any speakers/headphones you have connected, uninstall your sound drivers and run driversweeper to make sure you've completely gotten rid of them.
Then, download the latest drivers here and install them.

After that, give the headphones another shot.

Also, it may be worth opening up the tower and taking a look to make sure there's no loose screws around or anything which looks like it could be causing a short. I doubt this is the problem, but again it can't hurt to check.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread