OMG reset bios,,, lost everything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanix

Beta member
I didnt know that if i reset bios that it would send the harddrive back to when i first installed windows. It appears that ive lost everything!! is there a way to get my files back? i havent deleted anything, but why has it backdated?

:( :(

Resetting the BIOS and reformatting the hard drive are two different slices of pie :)

Resetting the BIOS just takes it back to default factory settings, and doesnt delete anything off the HD.

true , it got nothin to do with the hd
the bios identifies the hd? something tells me you messed with the connections too

Chances are somebody messed with the computer behind your back...

Maybe a friend messed it up? Maybe a power surge?

talldude123 said:
Resetting the BIOS and reformatting the hard drive are two different slices of pie :)

Resetting the BIOS just takes it back to default factory settings, and doesnt delete anything off the HD.

then why was my sata hd sent back like a year? there is space available as if everything was deleted... and i had to reactivate windows!

everything ive done in the last year is gone after i reset bios defaults

you probably had a virus or the hd have alot of bad sectors , i highly doubt the resetting had anything to do with it , i suggest youll power off and disconnect the hd , then connect it to another pc if you got one or take it to a friends pc , and in bios make sure the boot order is right (make sure yours isnt first) , then use data recovery software and see what you can dig up.. and of course do not save the data to it , save it to another drive ,
i recommend easy recovery pro/file scavenger/r-studio , after data is deleted it just hides in the partition free space at least until new data replaces it... , so better do a hard reset (use the reset button) and power off cuz any as alredy said if new data will replace some of the data that could have been recovered..

edit better check the hd with the manufacturer diagnostic software

That's confusing...

When you reset the BIOS, it reset's the firmware of the BIOS itself to when it was made, not everything else in the PC.

um... thats not necessarily true, a bios can cause this IF depending on the MBD and chipset. Some bios will have a debug mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom