Old school Pavillion Probz - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Old school Pavillion Probz

Okay first of all Hello everyone this is my first post here. Well, I have my old HP pavillion 6646c with its AMD K6-2 500mhz processor well thats all good and stuff but I only have a windows 95 disk to put on there. Perhaps sum of u know that there is a problem with the AMD K6 that are over 350mhz running windows. (IOS device failure.) Well I downloaded an upgrade that was to fix it but the problem is that I cant get into windows to run the upgrade so..... yeah.I tried to run it in dos mode but it cant be run in dos which I figured. So I got this crazy idea... I have another pavillion with the same processor only its got 200mhz which is less than 350 so I said "hey they're aboth socket 7 and i have a pin set in my newer hp for the fan. Maybe ill juat put it in. I cant find enough info on other threads mostly because they all assume you're trying to upgrade. but so yea if i could run windows with my little processor I could install the upgrade and out my good one back in. But i tried that and the computer wont give me anything on the screen when i turn it on. The lights come on and the processor fan is on and all looks well enough but the screen stays blank. IDK is this maybe a jumper problem?

If anyone can help me PLEASE.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Old school Pavillion Probz

Did you try reseting the BIOS?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Old school Pavillion Probz

Microsoft said that it wont work with the 500mhz. I cant get to any screen with the 200mhz soooooo.
Closed Thread