Old PC needing pick-me-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So my friend has an old PC and it doesn't really want to turn on.

It uses a AGP video card, and I have troubleshot it down to the Card, The motherboard AGP slot, or the Power Supply (since the card requires extra power) as the problem.

While the card is in - it won't turn on anymore. If I pull the card out and use onboard video - it boots just fine.

I think it needs a New Power Supply, but wanted some other options, but if a agreement is made that a new PSU would help/fix it then we can start there. It has a real old, I think 350w inside, so it may not be enough to actually power it all (although it did for a while, just not heavy gaming or anything)

Trying to spend as little as possible, but honestly this old rig needs replaced.

If possible I would love to get it upgraded to something a little more powerful, but with a very limited budget (say $200) I think it would be easier to go to Wal-Mart and pay $400 for one under warranty.

can you post the make and model of the card and board?

I've never heard of a video card that needs extra power before. I usually buy / research standard video cards though.

I would try the card in another pc, if possible. if it works in another pc, then i would review my bios settings.

From what little experience I have had with Power supplies, when they go bad, the computer doesn't power up at all.

the card neeidng "extra power" is the 4 pin molex it has on it's end - much like the newer 4/8pin series for PCI express cards, but lower tech.

I don't know if I have another AGP capible board... even if I did I would have to use the same PSU.. which doesn't really eliminate the problem unless it was the motherboard..... (now I gotta look in the closet for boards...)

Its a... BFG .. Nvidea.. something....7600 GS? something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom