Old PC haveing Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Exclamation Old PC haveing Problems

I've got a Old P4 System here. Its Constently beeping and wont respond to the TV out Put Via the S-Video and L&R Audio Cable Pluged in via the Front. I've checked the internals and all seems well, everything set up and Pluged in ect. But I'm connecting via VGA to S-Video on the front of an old TV. CRT. Has any one got any Ideas were to Start even in being able to resolve the Problems and get a Display. The Beeping is about 1 full second Long in lengh then it misses a second then again one full second in lengh.

Any help at all would be great, just to get the Computer up and ruuning and see it working. I got it for free, so wouldnt mind putting it to use.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Old PC haveing Problems

IIRC, 1 long normally means there is a video problem. Does this have a PCI-E/AGP card in it?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Yes it does, it has an AGP slot, but the GPU, is an old PCI card.. I got the Tower for free, and it has an 80GB HDD, but only want to use iot for Media Storage, its come with a Genuine XP Pro Licence.. So thought, why not! The Beeping is repeating it self Continuesly, over and over again.

I've tried Unpluging the Card, Botting it with no luck via the onboard Chipset from the back panel, then Ive pluged in the Card and Botted it again to no luck.

The Way I'm running the Video from the PC, is via a VGA to S-Video Female and R&L Audio Female, then Via Male to a Scart adaper (Female) to the back of the TV, I have two options on the Scart adapter. Input and Output. Then I'm cycling threw the AV Settings with no luck.

Im gonna have a look at it again now and see if I can find out what the Problem is.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

It could be a memory problem as well. Did you check it with only one stick in?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Sorry MindoverMaster, I've got it wrong. Its not a P4 System, not sure what it is! And what I thought was a PCI GPU, is acutally a Serial port expansion for Printers, Modems, Faxes ect.

Thats how old it is. Didnt even know what I was Dealing with.

What i've done its set the Scart adapter to output, via the VGA, used one stick of 1GB DDR Rev.1 Memory, then I've pluged it in to a acutal VGA Monitor to cut out the Hassle, and its still not produceing an output. But it must be regestering with the System as when I unplug the Monitor I get a Message something along the Lines of, 'No Input.'

But the One second beep is still their, so I can only asume that the Motherboard's seen its Day! ..

If thats the case I mite just salvage the Parts, HDD, IDE Cables, and DVD RW ect.

The Graphics is onboard and theirs no output.
Closed Thread