Old HD can't boot externally through USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

raxus

Beta member
Hi all,

I recently bought a new internal HD from my laptop and wanted to use the old one as an alternative boot up device since it still has the XP OS on it along with data and programs (it's still good, but it's just a little too slow and too small for my everyday liking).

I put the old HD in an external casing (Vista compatible, thus XP as well) and plug it in the USB ports (the cable with the casing extended into 2 USB inputs -- more power perhaps since it doesn't need an AC adapter?). Anyway, my BIOS is able to boot from USB and I have the ordering 1) USB, 2) CD, 3) Internal HD, so that's all squared away.

what happens is the Windows XP opening screen displays and then after 2 seconds Blue Screen Of Death...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives and or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4CB528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

...Thus it seems to acknowledge the OS on the drive, but then craps out. If I put this old HD back into the machine, it boots and runs as expected, and I'm not sure why it blows up when put in an applicable external enclosure.

The hard drive is an ATA, 60GB, USBs are all 2.0, and it's a Dell machine with 2GB RAM if that happens to matter for any such reason.

Hopefully someone knows of a remedy for this problem. Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom