"Old" hardware? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question "Old" hardware?

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I was doing some testing and benchmarking last night on my computer (which I built myself a couple years ago), and I was alarmed to see that while nearly all my hardware used to be the best performing out of computers with similar configurations, it's now the WORST performing out of computers with similar configurations! Now, this is the first computer I've built myself, and the first time I've actually bothered to do benchmarking on a system, so please forgive my ignorance, but what gives? Does hardware performance decrease over time because of aging of the physical components? All my drivers are up-to-date, Windows is also completely up-to-date, my hard drives are defragged, I have no viruses or spyware that I'm aware of, and I recently uninstalled a bunch of useless programs and scrubbed out the registry. How about drivers? Does using the newest drivers on older hardware hurt performance?

Wah, I feel so stupid. I should know this stuff. :freak:

Oh, and my setup, if it matters:

3.2 GHz P4 w/ HT
ASUS P5P800 SE mobo
2 GB of RAM
256 MB Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT video card
2x 320 GB hard drives
Plextor dual-layer DVD burner
media card reader
2Wire wireless card
Windows XP Home Edition

Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: "Old" hardware?

I think alot of people running benchmarks on slightly older hardware are OCing.

Could be wrong, though.

I also don't know what you mean by "similar configurations". My guess is if they were similar, they'd be the ones you score next to. They obviously have something different, ie, a higherend GPU. You're pretty close to the max speed of a P4 and a good amount of ram so the only worthwile upgrade would be GPU.

Antec 300 Illusion
430w Antec Earthwatts
AMD Q4 640 Propus
2x4gb Patriot DDR3 1333
750gb Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive
Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

By "similar configurations," I mean almost exactly the same hardware, with only a really minor difference, like less RAM or smaller hard drive. They had the same CPU, GPU, and mobo. Think they're overclocking, then? They didn't score MASSIVELY higher, just enough to upset me. LOL.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

well your gpu is lowering your score, even going to a 7600gt would put you up. where did u do your benchmarks?
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I used PassMark PerformanceTest and PCPitStop.
Closed Thread