OLD Gateway Pent III Beep codes needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I had to replace the PSU on one of my father's old desktops. It's an old gateway PENT III. I replaced the PSU and no post, just two quick beeps. Some sources say Motherboard or system memory failure. Pretty sure this is older AMI BIOS.

The computer wasn't doing ANYTHING before.. the Power button was lit up, and that was all.

The rig should at least POST with out the HDD connected, right? I was always under the impression that the HDD isn't used until after the POST. The post was all the board and the system test. And this board doesn't have a separate CPU power plug from the PSU. I've never seen that before.

Yes it should post without HDD connected. Try to look up the manual for that exact model comp.

I had to replace the PSU on one of my father's old desktops. It's an old gateway PENT III. I replaced the PSU and no post, just two quick beeps. Some sources say Motherboard or system memory failure. Pretty sure this is older AMI BIOS.

The computer wasn't doing ANYTHING before.. the Power button was lit up, and that was all.

The rig should at least POST with out the HDD connected, right? I was always under the impression that the HDD isn't used until after the POST. The post was all the board and the system test. And this board doesn't have a separate CPU power plug from the PSU. I've never seen that before.

You are correct, Antec. The hard drive only takes over at the very end of the POST, when the bootloader takes over and searches for the MBR (master boot record) on the hard drive. Like Nubbleet said, if you can find a manual that would help you.

Hmm.. Thanx guys.. I have no idea where the manual is.. It maybe fubar.... I'll swap the ram out and see if that does anything..

I swapped the PSU out and as soon as I went to fire it up, the CPU fan didn't come on, but the GPU fan was spinning and I got a sudden STRONG whif of Ozone... No bueno.... It was coming from the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom