Old CPU Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Private_Shon

In Runtime
I've got an old CPU fan that i don't need and i'm wondering if i can get it to work without having to start up the actual PC. Now i'm no expert at this but i tried connecting 2 wires (the plug on the fan has 3 holes) in the right hold (positive and neg) and the fan shuddered for a second but i only used a small matchbox size battery.

I also tried plugging the motherboard into the power provider PSU or whatever and tried to get it to start but it wouldn't prob coz i didn't boot it coz i couldn't.

Is there any other way?? because i could really use a small fan for my other PC just to help out a little.

Why not just plug it into the computer you want to use it on, and see if it works? Though don't expect much of an improvement, after all you are trying to use a CPU fan as a case fan, right?

They are made to suck air away from the heatsinc, not cool a case.. so it probally won't help at all. But ohwell, stick it next to a hdd or vga or something.

theres nothing to plug it into as i'm trying to use it on a laptop as like a little cooling thingy. i need some kind of external power.

yeah i know but what kind of battery? one of those big brick ones? like brick sized ones with the thing on the top? or what

(reply to the guy before this (how am i gonna do it) well i plug the positive power thingy on the fan into a positive of the battery via insulated but cut at the ends wire and then same with neg. it works just dunno what to use (like as in battery)

I'm not sure how much a 12V DC transformer would cost, but getting one that plugs into the wall would be a better option IMO. it's a more permanent power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom