Old Compaq Screams In Pain!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the processor fan is dead, the computer will not likely boot at all. and if another fan in the system is dead the computer will likely overheat quickly and shut off. other things that can cause screeching is a hdd, or even cd/dvd drives. try to pin point the source of the noise.

Does the laptop load windows?

yes, about 70% of the time it loads the os.

if the processor fan is dead, the computer will not likely boot at all. and if another fan in the system is dead the computer will likely overheat quickly and shut off. other things that can cause screeching is a hdd, or even cd/dvd drives. try to pin point the source of the noise.

Actually it's not the processor's fan, it's just above. the fan helps get airflow in the computer (intake). How could it be hdd or a cd drive? Like it's not working and the motherboard is telling me or that the actually hardware is making that noise?

the only one? on the buttom of the laptop, it's above the processor.

if there is only one fan in the computer. it is the processor fan. there wouldn't be no processor fan. that would make no sense to have an intake fan on the bottom of the laptop. i can't say i've ever seen that before. and i didn't say that the HDD or CD rom were the problem. i said they too can make those noises if failing. so be sure you know where the noise is coming from. until you pin point the area of the problem, we can't be of any help.

Yeah, something most people know is that the motherboard/speaker have beeping codes to identify the problem. If its a long, continuous beeping, it might be some of the RAM failing... or a part of the RAM (if there is only one stick). It could be the hard drive, but if its making that kind of noise... your in trouble...
As for the fan, if there is only one fan, then it is the processor fan and does need to be fixed. If it is just an intake fan to cool the system, well, it should be fixed/replaced. But as long as you don't have it on a surface that absorbs and retains heat, it should not be that big of an issue right now if you are not doing anything heavy.

The laptop should be fixed, but I do agree its not going to do a whole lot.

If you're not sure if the noise is coming from the speakers, is there a headphone socket? Just plug headphones in (Not while you're wearing them!)

If the noise continues it's not the spkrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom