Old Comp Broken - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Old Comp Broken

Originally Posted by Saxon View Post

Oh an if it is running 95 or 3.0 it will not run XP it will run like a 2 legged retarded dog that also happens to be on fire, even if you get it to boot.
Lol Saxon... you always seem to have the best anologies . I'll have to remember to come to you when I need quick witted responses lol.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Old Comp Broken

Originally Posted by wangie444 View Post
my dad has an old dell thats broken and this is what happens

1. The mouse doesn't work, went to computer hardware and said it was recognized. Its a USB optical mouse. Keyboard is fine.

2. Seems to be an error with the pictures, THe icons are really zoomed in and everything is well idk how to describe: pixely and like more contrast, like turning up saturation on photoshop.

3. When you try to reboot, computer screen turns black, but won't shut off. This happens once in awhile when u try to turn it on.

4. When I try to solve problem 2 by changing resolution and color settings, however, it requires the system to restart, which is not possible due to problem 3.

5. The computer uses windows something not sure 95 or 90... idk its old.

I'm planning just to replace the hard drive and just install Xp would this work?

1. Windows 95 has very limited support for USB Devices. It doesnt even have the plug and play feature working correctly. You have to manually setup the device.

2. This would be a incorrect Video Driver.

3. It is not saving your profile. Being such a old machine and knowing Window 95 like i do it can take upwards of 5 minutes or more to save the profile.

4. Again how long do you leave it to restart?

5. It would have to use Windows 95 or 98. There was no Windows 90. Windows started with 3.1 and then went to 95. Then 98 and on from there.

I highly doubt buying a new hard drive will do you any good. First if you get a hard drive bigger than 137GB you wont be able to use it. Even a 40GB hard drive might be to much for the BIOS to even recognize. Being such a old machine they did not have support for much more then 1GB drives at that time.

Also the system specs, mainly the CPU and amount of RAM, might not be supported by XP. So your efforts could be wasted as you might not even be able to install XP cause your CPU/RAM amount isnt supported.

I would just suggest you donate the PC after you format the hard drive. Or dispose of it correctly and buy a new one. By the time you can upgrade it enough to support XP you will basically build a new machine anyways.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread