Old Comp Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangie444

Solid State Member
my dad has an old dell thats broken and this is what happens

1. The mouse doesn't work, went to computer hardware and said it was recognized. Its a USB optical mouse. Keyboard is fine.

2. Seems to be an error with the pictures, THe icons are really zoomed in and everything is well idk how to describe: pixely and like more contrast, like turning up saturation on photoshop.

3. When you try to reboot, computer screen turns black, but won't shut off. This happens once in awhile when u try to turn it on.

4. When I try to solve problem 2 by changing resolution and color settings, however, it requires the system to restart, which is not possible due to problem 3.

5. The computer uses windows something not sure 95 or 90... idk its old.

I'm planning just to replace the hard drive and just install Xp would this work?

You might try a PS2 mouse. You'll have trouble finding USB drivers until you get XP installed. Sounds like the old CRT on the monitor is just about shot.

1)USB - did it work earlier? Or is this a new mouse? I would suggest with windows 95 to use a PS2 mouse, a USB mouse isn't supported by the original 95 and you will be hard-pressed to find a driver that works for it.
2)This can either be a resolution problem, or you have 'large icons' enabled. I would first try increasing the resolution to say 1024x768 or something around there, you may only be able to do 800x400 because of the age of the computer/monitor.
3)This is a tough one because we don't know what is installed on the computer. More than likely the OS is hanging because it can't shut down a certain task. I would monitor it while you shut down the system and see what application is poping up saying it can't be closed. If no such screen pops up I would end every task that is not essential to the running of the OS, then shut down.
4)Read #3
5)Probably 95, there isn't a windows 90, and before windows 95 there was windows 3.0.

Although some of the problems can be resolved by following the above, the best bet would be to get a new computer. You are just going to continually have issues with this machine because it is so old. Cut your loses, save your data and purchase a new computer. I'm sure it is a Pentium I or II with 64 mb ram and something like a 200 mhz processor and maybe a 2 gig hard drive. You are going to spend more time troubleshooting this dinosaur then it is worth.

the mouse has always worked and works with other computers.
the computer recognizes the mouse but it doesnt move
i said i've TRIED to change the resolution, but when i click ok, it asks me to restart.
once the computers shuting down, the screen turns off, but the computer doesnt forcing me to pull the plugs

If it is running windows 95 or windows 3.0 it is honestly not worth looking at unless you needed to keep it around out of interest or for some legacy programs - an if it is a hardware issue you might be totally scupperd to find spare parts etc.

Oh an if it is running 95 or 3.0 it will not run XP it will run like a 2 legged retarded dog that also happens to be on fire, even if you get it to boot.

If it is running windows 95 or windows 3.0 it is honestly not worth looking at unless you needed to keep it around out of interest or for some legacy programs - an if it is a hardware issue you might be totally scupperd to find spare parts etc.

Oh an if it is running 95 or 3.0 it will not run XP it will run like a 2 legged retarded dog that also happens to be on fire, even if you get it to boot.
Hillarious Saxon!

Back to the issue, i TOLD (notice i capitalized b/c you capitalized the try:)) you to terminate all uneeded processes prior to changing the resolution.

best bet=XP all is not lost, but yeah, it might RECOGNIZE the mouse, that doesn't mean that it has the drivers needed to run it properly. either a) get a usb to ps2 converter or b) get a ps2 mouse. check the hardware, how much ram? what CPU? how big is the HDD? I'd place money the os might be screwed up somewhere being that old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom