Old but re-jigged computer wont POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulPatterson

Solid State Member
Hi all,
just got a new motherboard and RAM and set it all up with all my old equipment that used to work. Now the computer does nothing
All the fans are working and the little front LED is on but the monitor's LED remains on yellow and there's no beep from the motherboard.
I have double-checked the pins on the motherboard where the chip sits and no pins are bent.
The RAM is a single stick of 1GB DDR2 RAM 5300 unbuffered and the motherboard is a dual channel motherboard but I think it takes single sticks.
The motherboard is an Asrock G31M-S

I have stripped the computer down, leaving just the mobo in the chassis with the chip and associated fans. No hard drives, ROMS, or RAM.
Without the RAM, the mobo gives 3 short beeps on bootup meaning a failure of the RAM. Upon placing the RAM back into it's slot, nothing as before, just the fans spinning. I've tried both RAM slots and the same nothingness.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Is the 4pin mobo cable plugged in?

Take the mobo out of the chassis and hook it up. It maybe shorting out on one of the stand-offs.

I've tried booting it with the four pin cable plugged in and out, still nothing. I'll try removing the motherboard from the case to see what happens.

I'd also double check your RAM...

i spent 2 weeks trying to get a system running, and it turned out that deespite others running the same mobo/ram........... mine wouldn't.

I eventually got the computer to POST after switching a couple of motherboard jumpers but now it gets to the blue scrolling thing just before XP has finished loading and freezes when the blue thing is scrolling. It never gets past the blue scrolling thing :(
Any help please ?

I am talking from experiance here - your motherboard is trying to use ram that is not support there for you are not running a healthy enviroment therefore causeing crashes, upgrade your ram (best thing to do anyway) and your system should be fine.

I have just re-installed XP onto a new partioned drive. I was able to work within Windows for a time but upon re-boot got stuck at the blue scolling thing again :(
With regards to your suggestion Saxon, if the RAM was unsuitable for the motherboard it would cause problems at different point. My problem now is getting beyond the blue scolling page.

Hi Paul,

Just had a similar problem upgrading an old board with a new ASROCK. After 3 days of stuffing around my conclusion was the M/B was the problem. Bought a 2nd hand cheap M/B of eBay, installed it with all the components I had attached to the ASROCK and it booted immediately, no problems whatsoever .... could be the M/B.

Keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom