Daemon Poster
so I just built my new computer.

amd 64 3800+
X800
Asrock dual slot mobo
and some other junk..

Ok so when I play games, alot of times my computer either :

1) Locks up
2) Or my Computer screen turns black, then locks up.

I think it's my videocard on accoutn that my video card looks a little beaten ( I see some wires sticking out on the bottom where you stick it in the mobo)

But it may also be me getting overheated..
I have only one fan in my case, but its a very good fan, and VERY loud...

It's a val-(something) the brand is the Tornado. It's as loud as one, thats for sure.

Another thing, it might be my cpu overheating, so I bought some thermal grease. Can anyone give me a pretty good idea on how to put it on? Thanks..

(RMAing my videocard on wednesday)

And how much is watercooling? Is watercooling compatible with everything? ( meaning, is it something you ahve to upgrade to keep up to par with newer hardware?)

thanks, again!

dont jump to conclusions like rma your vid card. You need to test it first. Get the temp measurements for the cpu and vid card if possible to see if either one is overheated. also if u installed the cpu or the vid card poorly u could have messed up the thermal paste.

I think the problem is more likely to be your RAM though. maybe your timings are too tight. go to the motherboard website and upgrade the bios then check over the ram timings. then come back and report your findings here.

what programs would you recommend to test the temperatures?
And yes, My ram is quite old.

But my video card is indeed a bit glitchy, sometimes the screen turns..crazy like.
That and like I said, there are wires sticking out...like as if they got ripped..

If you installed value or oem ram, there is a good chance that your board don't recognise it underclocking or overclocking it(saw 533 ram getting overclocked to 666 and craming the board)

make sure the wires ur talking about aren't touching anything else because if it touches one of the capacitors or anything else in ur mobo it can blow or die. if the wires arent in use then cut them off.

about the thermal paste, u want to take off the heatsink, then whipe off the old thermal paste from both the cpu and the heatsink (dont take off the cpu from mobo), then squirt about a boiled size of rice on the heatsink, smear it so its a thin layer and make sure it doesnt go on the mobo. reinstall the heatsink and ur set to go

also to test ur RAM download this:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/MemTest.shtml
ur gonna hav to create a boot cd or floppy in order to run it on system boot

I'm talking about...like...imagine tiny strips of the card shredded off...its like tiny little ribbons of stuff..its wierd

to test temperatures of cpu, psu, and gpu
either speedfan (a little complex)
or pc wizard (very simple).
google them.
either one told me my temps within 1 degree celcius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom