Office PC PSU Dead? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot

Default Office PC PSU Dead?

Hey guys, I'm currently helping out my aunt and uncle in their offices. They have dozens of computers. They're going through an office overhaul and I'm particularly intimidated by the network side of things because the tech guy working there (I think he's been fired or something) has the network set up in a particularly complicated way..

anyway, I have a lot of computer related jobs to do around here.. one thing I wanted to ask, there's a computer that just won't turn on.. I took a look inside and the switch and switch connectors to the motherboard all look fine.. so next I thought the PSU maybe.. I disconnected the power from the psu and noticed that there was a very slow blinking green light that was still lit well after at least a minute from disconnecting the power.. this light was also blinking when the power connector was attached and when I was trying to boot the computer up.. I'm thinking it's fried then.. I'm just not too familiar with being able to recognize a fried PSU, is the light indicating to me that something is wrong? or is that just an indicator for power? I'd try switching the psu, but i just wanna make sure that the psu is in fact dead first..

Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Office PC PSU Dead?

green light means mobo is getting power...

I think you have a bad or dead mobo instead

however...could also be insufficient power from an ALMOST dead psu...

but I would vote on the mobo as the culprit

Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot

I apologize for not being clearer.. I meant the green light on the back of the PSU..
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i was saving other random info...narrowed down to what I thought would be it

still think it's the mobo...

that said, here are other possible causes...
psu voltage set incorrectly
cmos/bios data has become corrupted...

the cmos thing can be as simple as resetting via the battery and or jumper settings...
or it could be so far as replacing a mobo chip...

for example...there could have been some type of set-up for hibernation and corruption has it in a limbo loop
Closed Thread