Odd Sleep/Internet Issue

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Alright I can't figure this one out.

My network setup:
cable modem -> router -> 3 computers

About once a day, at varying times, I will return to my computer to find it in a sort of sleep mode, but can't be woken up. The computer is still on, but I can't do anything and my monitors are black. When this happens, our internet also goes out -- but our network is fine, the other computers can still access each other.

Then I reboot and it's fine, and the internet comes back on. This has been happening for 6+ months of varying frequency. I have reformatted my computer, which did not fix it. Other issues I have had with my computer both before and after reformatting is a freezing problem. Sometimes it will freeze and after about 20 seconds the screens flash and it says my display driver errored and recovered. Sometimes it will never recover and I have to reboot.

Could this be a PSU issue? I have 4 monitors, however this was also happening (to a lesser degree perhaps) when I only had 2 monitors.

i5-3570K
Asus P8Z77-V PRO
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
16GB DDR3 1600
Intel 520 Series 250GB SSD
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W
Windows 7 64-bit

NETGEAR R6200 Wireless AC 1200 Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router IEEE 802.11 ac/b/g/n

I doubt that it might be a psu issue, whats your current gpu driver version ?
Also since you said the network goes down when your computers go to sleep.
What is your network settings on each machine ?
Open up my networks in windows 7 and see if the connection may turn off to reserve power when your not there.

I didn't find any settings in device manager about turning off during sleep. All of the checked options specifically say the network stays active during sleep.

Gpu Driver version 9.18.13.3523 (3/4/2014)

I didn't find any settings in device manager about turning off during sleep. All of the checked options specifically say the network stays active during sleep.

Gpu Driver version 9.18.13.3523 (3/4/2014)

Hmm that version had some issues with my GT640 things were unsynchronized and the tempature kept getting abit too hot.

Try this version here: Drivers | GeForce
Also if you haven't download this.
Check your gpu tempature and fan speed before you game or do any video related work.

If the tempature seems abit high it may need a squirt of thermal grease or let evga do it for you if they don't want you opening it up under warrentie.

The video errors do not seem to be linked to gaming or other graphic intensive use. They happen any time - usually when just doing normal browser/ms office work.

I installed the driver you suggested and will monitor temps and report back. Thanks.

Temps have been sitting around 55C idle, 65C moderate use, 75C gaming. That's pretty good, right? My apartment is hot, but my case has pretty good airflow.

Temps have been sitting around 55C idle, 65C moderate use, 75C gaming. That's pretty good, right? My apartment is hot, but my case has pretty good airflow.

Yeah the tempature for your card is pretty good my GT640 has those tempatures daily.

The only thing left for now is check event viewer logs for more details.
If it happens again check there first and see what windows maybe saying.

Just happened. I was away from my computer for a while, watching a show on my HTPC when it suddenly lost its Internet connection. Sure enough, my computer was black. GPU temp is 44C. Here's a few errors from Event Viewer logs.

Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Warning: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_ULTRA_HS-SD#MMC&REV_1.90#T12000098264&0#.

Warning: Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Error: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\System Volume Information\Syscache.hve' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Last edited:
Just happened. I was away from my computer for a while, watching a show on my HTPC when it suddenly lost its Internet connection. Sure enough, my computer was black. GPU temp is 44C. Here's a few errors from Event Viewer logs.

Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
Warning: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC&PROD_ULTRA_HS-SD#MMC&REV_1.90#T12000098264&0#.

Ok check event viewer and check the system log, find out when the error occured on the time line.
Try to figure out which device its talking about, if I'm right it maybe a hard drive or sd/usb device.

If its the hard drive scan it with system mechanic basic trial from iolo and use deep scan.
Check the sata cables connected to your hard drives/optical drives if windows points out as drive messing up.

Alright I am 99% sure it's my SSD, although system mechanic came up with nothing. I replugged my sata cable, will see if it still errors.

Back
Top Bottom