Odd problems in-game

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I recently upgraded from a 7800gt to a x1900xt GPU. At random intervals of gameplay my character will continue to do the same action over and over for a span of a few seconds. This happens often enough to be annoying and with everything on stock settings. For example, I'll be walking in WOW and will continue to walk forward without me inputing anything for three or four seconds. It's extremely frustrating. Again, I am not overclocking when this happens. My card's temps reach only 73 degrees max.

Here are my specs:

3700+ amd athlon processor
x1900xt graphics card
1 gig corsair dual channel ram
480 watt Antec PSU

73C? That's a touch high, although nothing to worry about. I'd think it'd be the temp that would be causing it, personally. 73 C isn't enough to damage the card, but it could certainly hinder performance.

Heh... I had this problem in BF2, when I tried to make BF2 a high priority. Might want to check on that.

Oh, really? My card reaches those temps even when the fan is on max. Maybe I should RMA the card, even though I played around with overclocking when I first got it. That shouldn't make a difference though, or so I hope. I never messed with voltages or brought the card past 689/790. I did have it artifact once on such an overclocked setting, but afterwards I never overclocked it again. I also have been overclocking my cpu with voltage changes and such, but I have it on stock now, and the problems only occur when the gpu gets hot.

The first indication I had that the card may be faulty happened whenever I did autooverclock in the CCC and it couldn't handle it due to it overheating to 90C before the end of the test. The only way it passed the test was when I got ATI tool and set the fan speed to 100 percent during the duration of the test, during which time the card only reached about 74 degrees.

stainer711 said:
Oh, really? My card reaches those temps even when the fan is on max. Maybe I should OEM the card, even though I played around with overclocking when I first got it. That shouldn't make a difference though, or so I hope. I never messed with voltages or brought the card past 689/790. I did have it artifact once on such an overclocked setting, but afterwards I never overclocked it again. I also have been overclocking my cpu with voltage changes and such, but I have it on stock now, and the problems only occur when the gpu gets hot.

You mean RMA? :p

Why RMA it because it's hot? Just buy a Zalman VF900 cooler for it. It's like 30 - 35$, and will drop the temps like 15 - 20*C.

Whenever I game for long sessions and run 3dmark05 my score goes down by 400 marks from the normal one. I just removed the old thermal paste and applied some AS5, but the situation is the same. I wonder if I messed something up when I overclocked it.... Would a RMA be the best choice now?

Not yet. Make sure you have the latest drivers (ATI has Catalyst 6.8 out now). Also, please do not quadruple- (or even simply double-) post. There is an edit button, and if you double- (or more) post, it gets annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom