Odd problem, nothing on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toryn

In Runtime
So a couple of weeks ago I installed a soundcard and pretty quickly the PC started BSODing until it just gave in and started boot looping (would load upto the windows splash screen, flicker blue and reboot).

So I thought forget it, thats a driver issue and from the looks of it needs a reinstall of windows. Wasn't interested in doing that then (went on holiday) and have been using this laptop in the mean time.

So I'm trying to fix it now but when I turn it on, it doesn't reboot itself continually, instead the monitor acts like its in standby (ie waiting for the pc to turn on) and just shows a black screen. Infact both monitors Ive tried acted like they were on standby while the pc was on, and then when I unplugged the monitor from the PC it would "switch-on" and show the coloured box moving around the screen.

All the connections inside the PC are good, and the only change between when I installed the soundcard (and subsequent error) and now; was the RAM being removed, put in another pc, and then put back.

Hello,

Can you get into Safe Mode at all?

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

What OS are you using? XP or Vista?

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Sadly Vista does not have a Repair feature. So if you do not have any restore points your only option will be to format and reinstall.

Also have you gone into the BIOS to disable onboard sound now that you have a sound card?

Cheers,
Mak

I cant get into the bios.

The problem is that the PC turns on (lights come on, fans start) but both monitors that I tried show nothing.

The power-on light for the monitor is orange (standby) despite the PC being on, and it is only when the monitor is unplugged from the PC that anything happens (the monitor shows a moving box of primary colours).

Both monitos work when connected to this laptop.

Hello,

Have you checked to make sure that the video card is firmly in it slot and not lifted from the slot at all?

Cheers,
Mak

have you tried removing the sound card?
also you said the ram was mooved from one pc to another and then put back in the current pc, so could the ram have been damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom