Odd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdub31895

Beta member
My comp will randomly freeze up while playing a game or browsing the web and when I go to reboot there are dots or lines all over the place. Sometimes I can let it load up so I can log into windows....and when I do everything is running like I dont have a GPU, the screen jumps to 1024x768 res. Anyone have a fix or know whats going on?

A: Bad GPU from overheating a really lot
B: full HDD
C: Virus/malware

This happened with my HP NC6000 and it turned out that the HDD was pretty much full. Windows needs 500 MB in the HDD to run, make sure it hasn't filled up completely.

Though with the fact tht I'm probably the only person on earth who uses fricking 40 GB HDD's, I highly doubt that's the case. Good thing to check anyways.

Best way to check that since the computer won't stay turned on is with an ATA/API bridge. Plug in the drive and check it on a foreign computer.

Another thing that could also be wrong is the mother board. If so, it could be a capacitor, could be something is getting way too hot, anything really. I had that issue as well with the same laptop, same effects, but two symptoms.

In any case check that the HDD isn't ful first, and if not have an IT look at it. It is their job after all.

A full hard drive will not cause dots and lines to appear on the screen. The GPU likely overheated and is now damaged.
What is your computer maker and model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom