Odd computer lock-ups - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Odd computer lock-ups

Hi, so lately as i've been gaming for some time, playing Command and Conquer 3, at a random interval in time, my entire computer would lock up, sound stuttering, mouse moving for a few minutes then stopping altogether. I would then get a blue screen after waiting for about 2 minutes.
I checked the event-logger in windows and it says this:
"The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "
I've tested all of my hardware on Prime95, Orthos, HotCPU, and 3Dmark06.
i took out my soundcard in hopes that it would be something wrong with that, but i still get the freezing problem.
The entire system seems to hang up at random interval with every game i play.
I just enabled the Parallel Ports, but i dont know if i did it right.
I've checked the temps on my computer with Speedfan and Ntune, and i'm getting temps that arent too high, about 51 degrees at load and i'm not overclocking the system at all.
I thought about reseating the heatsink, but i'm going to buy a new processor soon so i dont really mind about the slightly high temps.
I dont understand what is going on with my computer, i built this machine for gaming and all i've been doing with it is surfing the internet.
I spent over 2000 for this and it seems to amount to a large paper-weight in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Odd computer lock-ups

Things to try or think about (most important in bold):

- Check and update drivers... This is the most likely problem...

- Does your system easily meet the gaming requirements? (Ram and processor speed)

- 51 (celcius I assume) is nothing ... My system hits about 63C maxed out.

- Turn off non-essential background programs during gaming (as well as antivirus type software)

- Run Adaware then Defragment... Lastly spray compressed air in there to get it cleaned up..
Closed Thread