nVidia Cards 'Data is Invalid' - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default nVidia Cards 'Data is Invalid'

Hi there, Im having a massive problem upgrading my graphics card. I originally had a Winfast GeForce 3 Ti 200. I deleted the winfast drivers, put in an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 and downloaded the latest driver packs (both the US and International versions). However which ever way i try and update the drivers, either from the nVidia executable or through the hardware wizard, it appears fine until the last moment when i get a 'There has been a problem' message and it states that it is because 'The Data is invalid'.

Ive also tried a brand new GeForce 6 6200 with drivers from the installation CD but get the same problem, so im assuming its not the card itself. I’m running XP with service pack 2, 2.4 GHz P4, 512mb.

I am actually going to cry if i cant sort out the problem, its already taken 2 days of my life and im verging on taking a large hammer to both cards. Any help is very very very much appreciated!!!

Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you purchase and install third-party graphics adaptors, and if you use the installation program that is provided by the manufacturer, you may experience the following symptoms:
• The installation completes successfully, but you cannot later install any additional hardware device drivers or other drivers.
• Your computer may exhibit unexpected behavior.
Following are examples of the type of error message that you might receive that indicate this problem:
Access is denied.

The data is invalid.
Note This issue is known to occur with the product Leadtek WinFast Titanium 200.
The Leadtek driver installation program incorrectly changes the security attributes for the Enum branch of the Registry, which is critical for driver installation. As a result, attempts to install drivers later are not successful.
To resolve this behavior and correct the changes that the installation program made, use the following command to run the Pnpreg tool from a command prompt:
Pnpreg –l
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

DownloadDownload the the Pnpreg tool package now. (http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...f74/pnpreg.exe) Release Date: Dec 19, 2002

For more information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/) How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It works!!!! Thank you so so much, you are a legend!!!
Closed Thread