NVIDIA 6600 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane0011

Solid State Member
okay, so i own a 6600 256mb agp 8x card.

it worked fine for the longest time, i used it to play call of duty 4 and never had any problems out of it

one day i was on firefox checking my email and the screen went black for 3 seconds and came back in, and it did it periodically throughout searching the web

i thought this was maybe a firefox problem so i closed firefox and opened call of duty 4

i loaded up with no problems i get in a server and i play for about 15 seconds then i lock up

so i restart reopen cod4 and same problems

so i restarted again and i hard crashed as soon as windows loaded

so i reseated the card, not a spec of dust in my cpu, i installed the newest drivers, still the same problem

so i put in my back up card ( ati radeon 9250) and i run prefectcly

any suggestions?

That is a bit on the hot side. Looks like it is overheating a bit. Can you increase air flow to the card? Is the gpu fan running?

thats what i figured

im getting a new cpu in feb. but i didnt know if there was some fix

the 9250 is killing me :(

Open up the case. I have been known to use the old duct tape a fan on to the case to cool it down for a short term solution. They do have pci slot gpu fans as well. The question is how soon are you getting a new computer and how much money do you want to spend.

well i have always had the side off of my cpu

and recently i have been opening the windows and putting a box fan blowing into the side of the cpu b/c i turned the heat on in the house

and the 6600 has a fan

i dont want to spend any money

the cpu in getting in feb is free

a freind is sending me her old one

its a 2.2 dual core

8600gt oc

320 gb sata 3.0

3 gigs dual channel ram

19' acer monitor

so im gonna hold out on spending money

so no ideas?

i have pretty much tried everything