Nothing showing up on monitor... Not even "no signal" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
I was crazy enough to take my giant computer home for Thanksgiving (to work on some school stuff), but I forgot to bring a DVI cable. I bought a DVI-HDMI at Walmart, because I happened to have a HDMI-DVI adaptor. I plugged it in, turned the computer on, nothing showed up. I pressed the "auto" button on the monitor, then it got a signal. After I restarted it though, nothing showed up no matter what I did, not even the "no signal" message.

I plugged the monitor into another computer, and everything showed up fine. So it must be something in my computer, possibly the video card? What do you guys think the problem is?

It sounds to me like something either got jiggled loose or the graphics card is kaput. Fist thing... System specs of what your using would help. I am assuming that this is a Windows PC. If so i would first try making sure the video card is properly seated snug. Second i would try a different monitor (sometimes hardware just cant get along). If you try both of these i would say it is a bad card. The monitor isn't showing "No Signal" because the card is giving enough of a charge to tell the monitor its there, but it has no info to show. There is a possibility if something is wrong in the signal conversion you may have shorted the card out. But try the simplest answers first. With moving it i would definite make sure the card didn't jiggle loose on the ride.

I7 920
Gigabyte X58 UD5
GTX 260 C216
6 Gigs G. Skill Triple Channel
Corsair 750 Watt psu

I re-seated the video card and RAM, and the motherboard itself. So everything is secure.

If something is shorting out the motherboard, then as soon as I move whatever's touching it, is it fine? Or is a shorted out motherboard a permanently dead motherboard?

There appear to be some lights going on the motherboard that I haven't seen before. I looked them up, and it looks like they signify memory over-voltage and I think CPU over-voltage. How could that be? I never upped the voltage on anything.

Tomorrow I'll try the monitor that I normally use, along with the DVI cable I normally use, and see if it works, hoping that it will.

I was crazy enough to take my giant computer home for Thanksgiving (to work on some school stuff), but I forgot to bring a DVI cable. I bought a DVI-HDMI at Walmart, because I happened to have a HDMI-DVI adaptor. I plugged it in, turned the computer on, nothing showed up. I pressed the "auto" button on the monitor, then it got a signal. After I restarted it though, nothing showed up no matter what I did, not even the "no signal" message.

I plugged the monitor into another computer, and everything showed up fine. So it must be something in my computer, possibly the video card? What do you guys think the problem is?

I had had problems like this at work before, The monitor would work on another computer but would not on another.

I have always fixed it by turning the monitors power button off and the computer off . I then would turn the system on then turn the screens on. To be honest though I really do not know how I fixed, for I was trying all kinds of stuff like the above mentioned and I eventually got it to work. I also did not have to mess with any settings with the computer.

But yea I have had the same thing happen, and it is just weird. Screen works on other computers, but not on the one I want it to work on. odd stuff for sure.

Try resetting the bios to start with. Then try reseating all of the power connectors. While your messing with the power cables make sure the voltage selector on the back of the power supply didn't get switched to the wrong setting. Check the cpu's heatsink and make sure it secure. If it's came loose check the mobo for damage (scratches and such). If none of that works start unplugging your drives one at a time.

Resetting the bios is simply pressing the Clear CMOS button, right? I did do that already, but I'll do it again. You press it when the computer is off, but the PSU on right?

With regard to power connectors, I re-secured the video card's several times and also checked the mobo 24-pin and 12v one. It almost looks like the video card isn't into the PCI slot all the way, but it's in as far as it can go, so I don't think that's the problem.

Voltage selector? I had to google it, but now that I know it exists I'll check it out.

I'm pretty sure the CPU's heatsink is secure, but I'll re-check it.

Also, I unplugged all the drives from the beginning (and also most of the peripherals) and there was still no signal.

EDIT: What does the normal/default setting for a voltage selector look like? Does it depend on the PSU?
EDIT: I just looked up the 750W Corsair, and it says it has the "ability to auto-sense your input voltage", so there's no need for a voltage selector. So I guess that can't be the problem...

to reset the bios unplug the computer from the wall, and push down the reset bios button on the MB for a bit so all the power is drained and the bios clears.

I secured all the power connectors, made sure the CPU heatsink was secured, unplugged all the drives, and I think I cleared the BIOS. Also there is no voltage selector on my PSU, so that didn't get accidentally bumped or anything.

Still no signal to the monitor.

I would say it's the video card, but that doesn't explain these lights on the motherboard signifying overvoltage. Ideas anyone?

So those lights I said I noticed before signify the Phase LED, Frequency LED , DDR Voltage LED, and DDR Phase LED.

I never saw the lights before this problem, so they must be related.

No idea why they'd all suddenly come on even though I never changed any settings in the BIOS.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but there's no BIOS beep when I start up, even when hooked up to speakers. Dead mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom