Not sure what the issue is

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlucool

Baseband Member
I was playing a game on windows xp. I used alt tab to switch screen and my computer crashed with a blue screen of death saying that it was a hardware failure. After this it kept happening (even when not playing the game) so I disagreed and thought it was a software error since safemode gave me no problems. So I installed windows over it self.

Now I play this game again (CIV 4). After a few days of playing it freezes. So I restart my computer and whenever I get into windows it freezes. It loads windows and then I can move the mouse but everything else is frozen. At this point I think it was just a fluke, and probably not the game. I can log into safe mode, and have no problems there. Except when I try to system restore it freezes half way again.

Now I reformat and reinstall windows. When I do I still have a few errors that should not be there when I install some software. But I install everything and it seems to work. I once again play CIV 4 and my computer does the same freezing thing. So I try to reformat one more time vowing not to play CIV 4. (This is the only game I have really played recently, so it may not be CIV 4 itself, but something it is calling). After I try and reformat I try and reinstall my drivers for my motherboard. After I click restart it just restarts to a black screen – no windows.

At this point I get very worried and put knoppix in. It seems to work flawlessly.
What tests can I run in knoppix to prove it is not a hardware problem, or to pinpoint what the problem is. I have been told that is could very well be my graphics card so that I would like to test first.

Also when I turn my power supply off by the switch in the back it does not always go back on right away when I turn it on again. Sometimes I have to let it sit a while to get the computer to go back on.

My system (built by me):
Athalon X2 64bit processor
Nvidia 7800 GTX
OCZ gold ram (2GB)
Western digital hard drive
Antec SmaterPower 2.0 500W power supply

Thank you for your help.

Summarize main point:
I need to use knoppix to run programs to find where the hardware problem is if there is one (or I can try and find a way to put programs and a floppy and diagnose there)

Now during my reintall is get:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x4E67B5CB, 0X00000002, 0x00000001, oxF735D35C)

ACPI.sys - Address F735d35C base at F7358000, DateStamp 41107d27

It happens every time now, so that makes troubleshooting easier I hope

It sounds like a hardware error to me personally. Does your mobo look good if you open the case? Are the capacitors or anything corroded by any chance? Always a good idea just to check it out physically and see if there's anything possibly conflicting inside her.

I would try to run diagnostics on the machine. Test out everything, scan your HD disk for bad sectors possibly and surface damage using a DOS prompt or something of that nature. It could be video...but probably not. Your system sounds to support it, plus Civ4 should be okay with a 7series vid card.

Something could be dying though. PSU could be losing power or dying off, if it takes a while to power on that's not a good sign. Make sure the fan(s) are running in that thing also, if they're not, it's dead and get a new one. Also could be a motherboard issue as well.

It sounds like hardware to me, try to get your hands on some hardware diagnostic tools if possible. Also check out this site at www.pcpitstop.com and go to full tests option at top left. It will test your machine and maybe pick up some issues with hardware/software that you didn't know about. I love that site.

My tests told me it was my main harddrive that is dying. Does that sound like it would cause all these problems or must i keep looking?

HD can cause tons of problems. I'd backup your files ASAP, and try adiff HD with an OS installed on it and see if your problem went away. Or...try reformatting and doing diagnostics on it and see if it's all clean and healthy again. Also, you could run a CHKDSK command on it and check for surface errors on it also.

I'd try a diff HD and if that works then you know what the problem is/was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom