Not sure if my Motherboard is dead

Runfox

In Runtime
My wife's computer was working fine, today it will not power up.

1) Stripped all drives and such from MB, no luck.
2) Used a power tester to check the power supply, when I plug the power strip for the MB into the tester, the power supply turns on, tester sees power, checked a few 4 prong plugs from the power supply, they have volts. Have to believe the power supply is good.
3) Removed CMOS battery, then put it back in, power on, still no luck.
Did I miss anything???
I don't think pulling the memory off the MB would help, I guess it could be the CPU, but I lean towards the MB.

Guess next subject is: if it is bad not much sense in looking for a replacement , the MB specs are :
Socket 939 AMD Athlon. its an old computer and slow, looked on line and found some old, refurbished MBs like $200.00 , not worth it. I see 1996 on the board, not sure if that its Manufacture year, but it could be. Guess I shouldlook on Toms Hardware and see what I could do for a cheap build, my wife only plays simple games and surfs.

Last edited:
Before I start great detail on what you did, however what kind of machine is it? What happened.. did she leave it on or was it shut down and pulled out later and found to be DOA..????

A lot of great guys here who will help but they will need to know what they are looking at before they can ....

It was running fine, one day, the next day it would not power up. I thought maybe the power supply was a problem, sometimes when that happens I cycle the power supply switch off for a minute then back on and that helps, but not this time.

I can not get the mother board to power up.

Back
Top Bottom