not sure, drive "problem"

Ottox

Beta member
Hi folks. Didnt think much of the flag on my desktop but did check it out and I have got a "drive error"
which windows would like me to restart and run fsavail (some filesystem program to fix)

basically Im pretty sure that all that happened was that I accidentally nudged the data cable out of my 32GB SSD (which runs my computer) and that everything is relatively ok. What im worried about is windows trying to be a super hero and doing all this unnecessary stuff to my drive resulting in it crashing and me having to reinstall everything.

for some backup info... i lost my 1TB Drive due to some faulty software microsoft released for my graphics driver. Long story short 2 weeks of diagnostics and repair tools and i simply grabbed a 32GB SSD off my brother and got windows 10 running again. It was not "hard" but it wasnt easy. Windows wanted to do a lot of stuff that my new drive cant handle (no space for windows update etc) AND that faulty software which toasted my old drive is on auto install from windows.

long story short, im reluctant to run any hard drive tools when im not experiencing any real issues. I would feel more comfortable if windows would go into detail about what problem they have detected. So... anyone with any level of experience comment? can a drive with very little space HANDLE whatever diagnostic is attempting to run itself on my system? Is there any way for me to get more information on the problem without taking action? is it possible that is a default message resulting from a cable being unplugged at a bad time? is there any way to make the message correct itself IE go away and let me think its all good? Should i be genuinely concerned that this may cause more serious problems at a later date?

THE END, (Long story long really... sorry guys :) )

P.s. nice to get to know you all. Im tav, 29, like long walks on the beach etc..

EDIT***-----
found button that says turn off messages about drive status.... one issue down.

still looking for advice but should you all have none... i will go with my gut and do exactly that.

Last edited:
It's extremely unlikely that any software hosed your hard drive. Hard drives fail for a number of reasons, but if the drive itself is bad it's usually from a mechanical or electrical defect or failure.

That being said, if you're getting messages that your drive is having issues, you should run a test on it to confirm. Ignoring the messages won't fix your problem.

At my part time job, we typically allow the built-in manufacturer diagnostics test the hardware since they are typically the most reliable. Those are accessed through the boot menu when you first start the PC. On Dell, for instance, press F12 to access this right after power on and there should be an option for "Dell Diagnostics." This also depends on the age and model of the unit.

What brand of PC do you have, or is it a custom build? What version of Windows do you have?

Its a Dell!
I have made a few upgrades.
new PSU, new HD.

what happened to the 1TB drive is it was full on space, and a piece of software was released that chewed up space non stop bit by bit, the drive crashed eventually. Then when windows was running diagnostics i became frustrated and powered down. (it was taking too long)

2 weeks of diagnostics later and i gave up on that drive.

im afraid of something similar happening again, as my drive is nearly full because it is only 32GB now.

anyways yeah its a dell XPS 8200 or 8500 someting like that

i can get into the boot if i need to.

Back
Top Bottom