Not seeing my 2nd hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Not seeing my 2nd hard drive

Hello everyone

This is my first post here and i have a small problem (i hope)

I consider myself an intermediate as far as pc's goes and can usually figure out a problem but this one has got me stumped and it is probably an easy fix.

I have 4 hard drives 2 usb and 2 internal. A couple of weeks ago my F drive (secondary internal) seems not to want to be recognized. When i open up My Computer the icon for my F drive looks different (it has the dog eared icon instead of a harddrive icon. When i click on it, it says the drive is not accessable access denied. I go to properties and the free space and used space says zero for both but is about half full. I am the admin and i cant remember where i go to set the permissions but i don't think that is the problem, but i'm sure it is some kind of setting and i know where or what it is. The drive is not damaged because i booted my pc with a knoppix cd and my hard drive works just fine.

This is driving insane

If you need anymore info just ask

Thanks

Old 03-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Check for a virus and consider a reload.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That is the first thing I did but since windows sees 0 used space on the hard drive , the scan takes about 1/10 th of a second and finds nothing. right after i post this i might try to boot off my knoppix cd again and try to see if i can run a virus scan that way :question:
Old 03-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

most likely a permissions issue , right click the drive and goto "security" tab and configure it properly , if you dont see the security tab then in menu goto tools-->folder options-->view and uncheck "use simple file sharing"
Old 03-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Still no good

And it has to be a windows issue because like i said if i boot up in knoppix the drive and all it's content works just fine, I tried to rename it, but no good either. This really sucks cause i have some reallllly important stuff on that drive.

And i'm betting this is something really simple too
Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

thats not alot of details you know , did you play with the permissions as i alredy suggested? , anyway obviously knoppix have no issues with it linux distros dont bother checkin permissions they access the drive no matter what the permissions are
Old 03-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I turned off the simple file sharing tried to use anitvirus/spyware remover, renaming, I can't remember where the permissions are at since im the only one who uses it and never really needed to set them. You are talking about admin/ user permissions right.??

By the way it's windows xp sp1 with nothing added that would require sp2 so that is not an issue either
Old 03-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

im talking about drive permissions , after your in "my computer" right click the drive and click "properties" and get into "security" tab..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow

Just call me stoooooopid

like i said as far as permissions are concerned i really never had to deal with them so i totally forgot where to look for them

That did the trick................and i DO deserve to be flamed over this one

Thanks man

Closed Thread