Not reading correct disk space for external HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan Polaris

Beta member
Recently, I've been working through steps to install Windows XP onto my external HDD. The ONLY modification I did to it in specific, was attempting to format it with this tool: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/23839.html

Now, I did this as it was recommended to do so on a guide to make XP bootable from a USB-connected HDD. After running the HP Tool that was posted, my 250 GB Western Digital external HDD now shows up as 907 MB.

I've tried downloading Paragon Partition Manager, and deleting/formatting/etc and messing around with everything, but nothing works. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance.

I'm not sure where to find out where it says what size it is in the BIOS. Also, before I used the HP Tool, it worked perfectly.

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it.. I toyed with it a little bit and FINALLY got the default "format" option to be able to format it back to it's original size. I still have no idea how it was able to be fixed, though..

EDIT 2: When I booted to my XP CD that I was going to use to install XP on my HDD with, I was able to delete the 907 MB "partition" already on there, then I formatted it with the normal format option from My Computer.

Yeah somehow you must have accidently told it to partition only 907 megs and leave the rest unpartitioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom