Not posting. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dr DMoney
Default Not posting.

My motherboard is not posting. It boots and my computer lights up but nothing. No beeps, not special flashes. I have unplugged, unhooked all parts, rearranged ram in every way possible, and resinked the cpu and still the same. I seriously think that my motherboard is dead, but could it be my cpu. I have an asus p5b deluxe, and intel e6600. If it boots and doesn't posts could it be a bad psu even though that doesn't make sense? I don't have a motherboard speaker, and the asus light doesnt do anything but light up.

The start of my signature...
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Not posting.

I'd try first, to get a new PSU on there. It may not be giving it enough power to do a full POST.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally Posted by Dr DMoney View Post
If it boots and doesn't posts could it be a bad psu even though that doesn't make sense? I don't have a motherboard speaker, and the asus light doesnt do anything but light up.
If your MB is not getting enough power, u can get lights but no cigar.

If i was you, id get a MB speaker, then youll know if you have Ram issues, but if we can assume youve tried everything with the RAM, then remove all non-essential hardware and run it on Integrated GFX (if possible) If it then runs, try replacing 1 item at a time, if it stops working on replacement of a single item, try swapping it out (dont just assume that item is dead, it could still be power)

Whats ur full system specs?

Im assuming this is a new build? Its unlikely a new MB is dead, but not impossible. The cheapest way around this is to take your MB back to the shop and say its DOA, they will replace it at no cost (if theyre nice and u have a reciept). Then when u replace the MB, if it still doesnt work you'll need a new PSU... a better one.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

If it boots and doesn't posts could it be a bad psu even though that doesn't make sense?
If it does not make it past POST, it is not booting. I agree with the above. You need to verify you are supplying good, clean fuel first and you need to swap in a known good PSU before moving further. Like troubleshooting a car engine, you have to first determine if it is getting gas, and that the gas is not full of water.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
MS MVP Windows Expert-IT Pro, Engineering 2007 - 2014

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

Closed Thread