Not a everyday hard disk situation..but... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Not a everyday hard disk situation..but...

Hey all, Im new here, so i look forward to hanging with u all often.

Ok, here's the deal. THis guy wanted his 80 gig Maxtor cloned to a 500 gig maxtor. I said sure. Went to his house. His 80 disk is ATA, the 500 gig is SATA. First im thinking the 80 gig wont see the sata?? Not sure though. I boot from the Windows xp ATA, and sure enough there is no 500 gig anywhere. BTW..the 500 gig is blank. So, I go out and buy a PCI adaptor controller for IDE/SATA . I hook up the 500 gig to sata controller and reboot. I load the drivers for PCI card and good so far. But, I still cant see the 500 hd. Now i get a hold of Maxblast driver cd and partition and format the 500 gigger. Now, it appears...WhooooHooooo!!. But the drive appears as SCSI??? Im thinking WTF...where did that come from?? I ignore it and install Acronis home image (My favorite) and begin the cloning process. Im prompted with a reboot to continue process. On reboot i get a Raid/Scsi message quickly and then baffled..... But the cloning procedure begins and at 20% the man which is 82 had to leave the house for diabetic health reasons. I had to leave the house too...and i told him to change the jumper from the maxtor 80 gig to slave and leave the 500 gig is. And it would boot fine. I told him to call me if anything should happen. Should I worry?? Will it boot fine that is my question?? When i came home i thought of somthing, that is there is no sata boot drivers on that drive....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . willl it still work??

any ideas.................would help...................just in case i need them. Btw please enlighten me if i did anything wrong.

regards, skopas

Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: Not a everyday hard disk situation..but...

you told a 82 year old man to set the jumper to slave on the ATA drive? Does he know what a jumper is?

ask him if both drives appear if not then you go on from there

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

To my surprise he knows what it is and what it is Or I would have never told him to do it. BTw.. he did call me this morn. He complained that his hands were hurting so he did not set any jumpers. He is still in his Windows 80 gig. ALthough, i do get a feeling that the 500 gig wont boot, cuz there is no sata drivers on the sata drive..arggg I will meet with him this tues......coming up.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

The SATA drivers are so your motherboard can see the drive. If you were able to format it, you don't need them.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

@CrazeD........................very good point. Makes complete sense.

Thanks to everyone, who is responding..
Closed Thread