not cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricey36

Baseband Member
i posted earlier about random reboots but having read the temperature guide thread in the o/c section i tiink the problem must be my cpu overheating.

amd athlon 64 4000+
should run according to the guide at 35-50 max
mines at least 50 at startup.

Haven't managed to get of a decent temp monitoring program. would like everest but it looks like they're charging for it now.

Can anyone recommend a decent temp monitoring free program amd/or a decent fan/cooling solution for a socket 939 cpu.

cheers

how do you know its 50 on start up if you dont have a program to monitor it? just curious.

you can try speed fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

but personally i dont think any 3rd party ones are as accurate but you can give it a try.

what mobo do you have? many of the newer ones have temp monitoring programs like msi and such.

ok, i'm now certain its the processor that's heating. got speedfan to work and it reported some fairly high temperatures. cpu got up into the 60's (celcius) and "core" temp at one point got to 118!!! which would explain why the thing is cutting out.
i haven't had chance to open the case yet but what should i be looking for when i do. all of the fans are working ( 1*front and 1*side case fans plus the cpu fan) so i dont think that's it. could it be a thermal paste problem, or should i upgrade the cpu fan ( at the moment it a smallish thing that runs contstantly at just under 3000 rpm)

first check the fan is working also if there appears to be lots of dust on it, clean it out.

if all appears fine then take the heat sink off and check how much the thermal paste as worn away. If its pretty much none existent you`ll need to buy some.

fan works fine, the pcs only had 5-6 hrs use since new, so no dust. am going to add another case fan and upgrade the cpu fan and heatsink, plus reapply thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom