not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

alquix

Beta member
hey all... I got a computer running vista that whenever I try to start it up, it gets me to that "Your computer did not shut down properly... yadda yadda yadda" and then the options to run in safe mode, last good configuration, or normal mode. no matter what option I choose, I just get a black screen and no clicking loading noises from the hard drive, and not even the "your hard drive is dying" synchronous clicks, just the sound of fans. I'm pretty sure that its my hard drive that is shot, but I need second/third/fourth opinions before I go out and buy a new hard drive, only to find out that its not the problem.

*update* I popped in the vista CD and got it to boot up, but it just shows a mouse curser and the vista installation background, no boxes or anything. no progression at all

This is a classic case of a bad hard drive, but just to confirm that, go to your BIOS and check all your IDE/SATA devices to see if your hard drive even shows up. Open up your case and make sure that your hard drive cables (IDE and power) aren't loose or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom