not again... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: not again...

Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read wiki's explanation of what the mbr is, it'll tell you the answer to your question.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiZcO View Post
well thx all about the MBR advice.. but im new to that first ive heard about it. i just went ahead and bought a new 500GB sata drive so with that my MBR will be fine right?
If you install Windows fresh yes. If you use it as a storage drive and not your primary yes. Those steps are used to fic the XP MBR to get it booting again.

XP MBR is this. It loads up. From there it looks for the NTLDR file. Which points it to the NTDETECT file. That file points to the boot.ini file which then loads Windows.

This is all done in a matter of a second. So it is fast. If one of those files is missing or corrupt you will see a boot error message.

HAL.dll file is missing or corrupt is a error that is gotten often. That usually leads to the boot.ini file not pointing to the correct drive or partition.

If the NTDETECT file is missing you will msot likely see the hard disk not found insert system disk to continue message. As the NTDETECT file is the first step in the boot process.

If the NTLDR is missing you will see that error. NTLDR is missing is the error i am referring to.

Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Check that and the Troubleshooting Windows XP to see the most common ways to fix the boot errors.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to SiZcO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
If you install Windows fresh yes. If you use it as a storage drive and not your primary yes. Those steps are used to fic the XP MBR to get it booting again.

XP MBR is this. It loads up. From there it looks for the NTR file. Which points it to the NTDETECT file. That file points to the boot.ini file which then loads Windows.

This is all done in a matter of a second. So it is fast. If one of those files is missing or corrupt you will see a boot error message.

HAL.dll file is missing or corrupt is a error that is gotten often. That usually leads to the boot.ini file not pointing to the correct drive or partition.

If the NTDETECT file is missing you will msot likely see the hard disk not found insert system disk to continue message. As the NTDETECT file is the first step in the boot process.

If the NTLDR is missing you will see that error. NTLDR is missing is the error i am referring to.

Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Check that and the Troubleshooting Windows XP to see the most common ways to fix the boot errors.

Good advice thanks

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 7
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler
ASUS HD7850 Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III(SSD)
Western Digital 640GB (storage drive)
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CX series CX750M 750W
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower
Closed Thread