NOOOOOOOO!!! NO POST!!! need help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
Well this weekend iv'e been doing a lot of work on my PC, so I underclocked my CPU to 1.6GHz so that it could be nice and quiet. This afternoon, when I had completed my work, I decided to overclock it back to 3GHz on stock volts. I didn't succeed in doing this, but the health of the system was fine still. So, I restarted the PC, and restored the BIOS to optimized defaults because I decided to just clock it back up tomorrow.

But, as I exited the BIOS just after restoring it to the default settings, the system would not POST. It was just in a constant cycle of the fans spinning up and then switching off again. So I turned the PC off. I then tried to boot it up. DISASTER!!! The system would not POST, and the LED codes on the board say that it is hanging the 'memory detection test' and that it will hang at this point 'if memory module is damaged or not installed properly'

So I took one stick out. No dice. Tried with the other stick. Still no dice. Tried with none at all. Didn't work. I tried putting both sticks in every slot on the board one by one, and still it came with the same error. I even tried a 512MB stick of DDR2 667 that definitely works and I know this because I'm using it in THIS SYSTEM that I am typing this message on and still I got the same error!

So should I take back my mobo? Do you think it's my RAM?

Thanks for reading this post, and thanks for all feedback.

everybody remember this and pass it on in all your posts to similar :D

resetting cmos is sometimes not as simple as removing the battery....on mine I have to do a jumper thing if it does not reset...

some mobos require the jumper reset everytime with the cmos reset...fyi

Remove the battery and switch the jumpers. Sometimes you only have to keep jumpers switched for a few seconds, sometimes a couple minutes. I have to wait about 30 minutes before the CMOS will reset.

As far as the self test error code you are getting. Be sure the DIMM are set completely. I had the same issue once and found that only one side of the stick was seated all the way. Double and triple check everything. Be sure the CMOS is clear, then try it again.

Okay, thanks for feedback. On my mobo there isnt a jumper its just a button. So im just gonna press it for 2 minuites and that should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom