Non-responding monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Non-responding monitor

Hi, I've had my computer for around 13 months and I've started to get troubles.

When I turn on my computer, the monitor wont respond, the power light is on and blinks.

What I find wierd tho is that in the past when I've turned on the monitor without turning the PC on, or simply unplugging the graphics wire on the monitor, a big moving sign pops up "no input signal", but that sign does not pop up now.. Even when only the monitor is on or the graphics wire is unplugged!

Also, when I AFK from the PC, and come back, the monitor have turned itself off and won't come back, acting the same way as when I turn the PC on.

A temporary fix seem to be; turn the pc on, plug in and unplug the graphics wire, then waiting around 15 mins, then the "no signal input" sign comes up, and plugging the graphics wire back in makes the monitor work.

I'm pretty sure it's the monitor thats screwed seeing it's acting unusual even when the PC is not on, but my monitor have a different graphics plug than everyone I know so I can't test it out.

I would like input from someone whos had experience with this or know of it, should I be sure it's the monitor thats screwed? Is there a way to test it not using other monitors or PCs? Could it be caused by dust, whereas blowing the dust out with a can of air will help? Can it be the power cable? Or the Power outlet in my house? Anything else that can be wrong?

Thanks for any input that can point me in an direction to what to do (not including sending the monitor back for service).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Non-responding monitor

Throw the monitor away... j/k.

Check your settings on the monitor and the PC itself. The PC will probably have a setting in which it turns off the monitor after X amount of hours (or minutes). Check that first and turn that off to see if the issue goes away. If the monitor is blank and not showing the 'searching for signal' message that usually means it is in sleep mode. Something that is controlled by the OS.

First check that setting and see if that fixes the issue.

-Vista SME
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Non-responding monitor

Thanks for replying.

I managed to find a plug converter so I could test with my brothers monitor, and his monitor works fine on my PC, so I guess I'll have to send it in.

So, issue solved, thanks.
Closed Thread