Noisy external hard drive......... is there a free diagnostic I can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Colors

Baseband Member
I have a 2 Terabyte external hard drive. It is a SimpleTech/Hitatchi/Fabrik product.

Here is the link to the manufacturer page:

Duo Pro Drive | SimpleTech :: by Fabrik

It has been running noisy lately. It sounds kind of like the fan is grinding, but I am really not sure what it is.

Also, when I first turn this drive on, the light flashes red for a while.

I have another drive from this same manufacturer -- the 1TB version. It runs quietly and I do not have any of these problems.

Is there a diagnostic that I can run to figure out what is wrong with my 2TB drive? Something free would be nice.

Thanks,

TC

Okay. On this 2 TB drive I mentioned I have used approximately 1/2 of the storage space. I will transfer that content onto a different 2 TB drive.

The only way that I can transfer this is by using a USB cable. That will take a long time because the volume of data is so high. I estimate it will be 12 hours of transfer time if I do one constant transfer without stopping.

So my question is....... should I do this all at one time? I can run this overnight. Would that be a bad idea? What that harm the destination drive if it writes for 12 straight hours?

Would it be better for me to transfer this over in smaller portions at a time? What would be the best quantity for me to transfer at a time?

Thanks,

TC

I successfully identified my problem. I will post the information here in case anyone else has this same issue and runs across this thread.

The company I work for has a PC technician who comes by our office to work on our computers. I told him about my situation with this noisy external drive. He told me that it was probably not the hard drive itself. He said that noise usually comes from the fan.

I called the manufacturer tech support line. I did not tell them about my conversation with my PC technician. I asked the manufacturer rep what he thought about the noise coming from my drive. He said that the majority of time when they encounter this problem it is the fan......NOT the drive itself.

They both said that there is a fast, easy way to test this. So here it is.

1 - turn off the drive
2 - use something to block the fan from turning(pencil, toothpick, etc.)
3 - turn on the drive. The fan will not spin because you are blocking it
4 - if the noisy sound is gone, then you know the problem has to be the fan and not anything else

Now that I have pinpointed the problem, I have to decide my next course of action. I have two choices.

OPTION 1 - send the drive back to the manufacturer and file a warranty claim. This would require me to copy the content off of the drive onto some other storage device. After they receive that faulty drive they will send me a replacement.... notice that I said "a replacement" drive -- not necessarily a brand new drive. They will probably me one of their demo units or refurb units. Honestly, that is fine with me. Whatever they send me will still be covered under the original warranty that was left over from the first thing that I bought.

OPTION 2 - I could open the bad hard drive and try to replace the fan myself. There are some pros and cons with that. Pros--would not have to offload the content onto some other device, would not have to hassle with a return to the manufacturer, would not have to wait, etc. The main "con" is that opening the drive would void the manufacturers warranty. The other con is that I would have to find a replacement fan that would work and I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Not sure what I should do here, but to make a long story short...... when your hard drive is making noise then check the fan first.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom