Noise - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Noise

During the past few days I have notice a small ringing noise coming from my PC. It seems to be coming from my PSU as I removed all my fans to try and find the noise. This morning I booted and the noise was not there. I came home at lunch to find it now making that noise. basically it is the same as a t.v. station late at night when they turn off there programing.. you know the multiple colors on the screen. Not that it is in any way that loud it is more annoying than anything. I talked to the tech at the local PC shop and he said it is more than likely the fan spinning up due to more heat.. Or it's the capacitors. I am going out on Thursday to have them take a look. I just wanted to know what you guys think. Maybe save me the money for the tech.

Please don't tell me I need a new one I just got this darn thing
See sig for specs

BattleField 2 Clan
Visit Us @
Ventrilo @

Thermaltake Armor Jr.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - ASUS P5N32-E SLI
2Gigs OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel - BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB PCIe FTW~
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 - Thermaltake 850WATT PSU
Dell 19" LCD - Logitech G11 Keyboard
Logitech G7 Mouse - Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers
Seagate 320Gb Sata Hard Drive - LG 18X DVD-RW Sata
Windows Vista Ultimate X64Bit - Qck+ Steel Mouse Pad
Old 06-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Noise

I read a post somewhere here about that same noise and it being a capacitor. There was talk about it either vibrating or boiling, both of which are not good but one is an easy fix. Either way I would never suggest poking into a PSU without proper training and that taking it to a professional, unless its new and can be RMAed, is the best course of action.
Network Administrator /
Project Coordinator
Moli Industries LTD.
Closed Thread