No video on post - Blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
I have a MSI k8 nForce-4 pcb 1.0 and 3.0
After I moved across the county, i tried to boot up my pc and all i got was a blank screen

i switched out my 7900GT gfx card with a x1950 and i was getting the same thing.
then i switched out my 3.0 pcb with an earlier model 1.0 using the new gfx card, same blank screen

today i pulled everything out of my case and put it in an older one that has a speaker built in. i get one long beep followed by 2 short beeps. the msi website says:

"1 Long, 2 Short - A video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot intialize the video screen to display any additional information"
MSI Computer Corp. - Support

Well no kidding theres a video problem... HOW DO I FIX IT!?!?

Even on sites that list all the possible beep codes and how to fix the problem, It doesnt say how to fix this one!

I tried reseting my cmos, booting with one stick of RAM, swaped a better power supply... nothing is working

i have basically replaced every piece of my computer and it still doesnt work

Ok, a geek at work recommended I flash my bios... i'm gonna give it a try and see what happens. wish me luck!

a little more digging on MSI's website turned up that the long beep followed by 2 short ones is either a video card or memory problem...
considering I've tried booting with just one of 2 ram sticks and with 2 different gfx cards and w 2 diff mobo's... its basically a satistical impossiblity that i have 2 dead ram sticks/gfx cards/mobos
i wish i had some extra ram that wasnt in the system to begin with incase it all fried the first time i tried to boot it

I have the same problem and I also have a MSI mobo.
I don't get beeps but I do get the blank screen..I've switched my graphic card with another and even my RAM sticks with another pair I know that works.

Does all your drives turn on?

Ok, I figured it out. It was a combination of things. First, my MSI board's manual says that, since i have double sided RAM, they had to be in specific DIMM slots... My bad

So i got the RAM in the right slots, but the problem was still not fixed. so i put my old gfx card in and it booted right up, granted it was so jacked up u could barely see anything, but it booted!!!

So it was a combination of putting the RAM in the wrong slots and a gfx card that was DOA.

I'm working on getting the card replaced under warrantee and everything should be happy days from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom